share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Large, heavy tree branch

I called Comcast about a Hurricane broken tree branch that is hanging on my cable wires and may snap them. I called a few days ago, they said they will have a look at them Saturday and then determine what to do. I am ok with that, but compared to my other experiences with them, I'm not getting my hopes up too much. It's been 2 weeks and still no response in the direct forum, and my issues remain, and remain for numerous other people. I guess they ignore what they want to. So much for volunteering help...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

FWIW, I suspect that Comcast has plenty of real damage from the recent NE weather to fix, so your preventive maintenance call may indeed not be given the top priority that you think it deserves.

As for the other unresolved problems you have reported in this forum, I don't know of any ISP who will devote too much time in trying (especially for a residential HSI account) to get the ping time to some specific location reduced from 40ms to 20ms. And unless you live in one of the areas where the bandwidth cap is being actively enforced, I doubt that Comcast is too worried about your bandwidth meter not working (since except for the couple of location where a bandwidth cap is enforced, the bandwidth meter is not really needed).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Fair enough, and I don't think it deserves extra attention, even if you imply otherwise.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

Oh, by the way, it isn't preventative maintenance, the cable is on the verge of snapping and the cable laying across the street.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by Microsoft® Bookshelf® Computer and Internet Dictionary© :
corrective maintenance

corrective maintenance (ker-ek`tiv mân'te-nens) noun
The process of diagnosing and correcting computer problems after they occur. Compare preventive maintenance.

---------------------------------------------------

preventive maintenance

preventive maintenance (pre-ven`tiv mân'te-nens) noun
Routine servicing of hardware intended to keep equipment in good operating condition and to find and correct problems before they develop into severe malfunctions.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

I called Comcast this morning and found out that somehow, the roll out to my address was canceled with zero explanation. The CSR I spoke with was courteous and after we discussed it, she is putting it to her supervisor that a new cable be run.

Losing phone and internet is particularly difficult for me because I have loved ones overseas that often need my help and if I can't reach them it can be quite severe for them.

So sometime this week another roll out will be established. The cancelation I was not notified and no explanation was given on their database.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

I agree with NetFixer.

Hundreds of thousands of cable subscribers have lost service because of Storm Sandy. I couldn't find a more accurate estimate so it could be more or less. Comcast's priority is to restore service to as many subscribers as quickly as possible. Comcast will first work on projects that restore service to the most subscribers. Since you have service, you have the lowest priority. Eventually, Comcast or its contractors will remove the branch.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to signmeuptoo

Could always tether your phone

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

The limb is on the ground now, so no need to continue the debate. I'm glad it didn't hurt someone, I don't know how it got on the ground, as the limb was tangled, wrapped, in the wires. The cable is hanging low though, so tomorrow I'm going to give them a call to tell them the limb is down but the wire did get stretched and leave it up to them. Fortunately, most people here have power now.

I want to be clear on something: I am heartsick for the folks who lost property, and the people down in NY and NJ who are suffering right now. Last year I went eight and a half days without and I know how miserable it feels. And so many have lost homes, cars, and family. We've been trying to reach my GF's relatives in NJ and can't reach them, we don't know if they are ok.
--

Buzz Saw

@comcast.net
reply to signmeuptoo

If the tree branch fell on your car, would you expect the manufacturer to come and fix it free of charge?

If the tree branch fell on your roof, would you expect the roofing company to clean up your storm damage and fix your roof free of charge?

And since it is not Comcast's tree, seems to me that you need to hire a tree service to clean up your storm damage.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to signmeuptoo

They have to repair the damage to the cable plant before they can repair individual service drops. They are going to repair the customers that are completely out before they repair customers that have service issues. It may also be your responsibility to remove the tree. You should hire a professional to remove the tree as it may be entangled in power lines as well since cable lines run alongside power lines and an electrocution hazard may be present. Do not try to clear the tree yourself.