share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Insurance rates will continue skyrocketing nationwide

Lord help you if you live on a coast.

It's getting where insurance companies aren't even interested in writing a policy, period.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

1 recommendation

Which you'd think would have the necessary effect of people no longer building/buying homes right up at the beach... but we humans are good at putting creature comforts ahead of common sense.
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to KrK

said by KrK:

Lord help you if you live on a coast.

It's getting where insurance companies aren't even interested in writing a policy, period.

The only problem I see with this is that some do-gooder in the government will decide that we need to expand things like the National Flood Insurance program to "fix this problem."

The only reason I can see for the Federal Government to subsidize development in flood-prone areas is that this is mainly a welfare program for rich people who want to live on the coast but not assume the full costs of rebuilding when disaster strikes. Gotta love that.

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of any government-run insurance program, and instead require that if a property owner cannot get insurance, that they be required to put enough cash in a bank account to cover the costs of demolition and damage to others for when (not if) disaster strikes.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Rogue Wolf

Look how much of the population already lies on coastlines and estuaries and river basins.

... and when I say "Coast" I don't mean the people living right on the beach... I mean just within miles of the coast.... (Although many do live right on the actual shore.)

It's never been a great idea to build on sand, but.....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini