Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to SwedishRider

Re: Portable generators and decks

We've got a deck and generator and my main reason for not wanting to run it on there is the noise. I couldn't imagine listening to a deck echo and amplify the generator noise. Should we need it, I plan to run it below the deck one the grass and chain it to a support post.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by itguy05:

We've got a deck and generator and my main reason for not wanting to run it on there is the noise. I couldn't imagine listening to a deck echo and amplify the generator noise. Should we need it, I plan to run it below the deck one the grass and chain it to a support post.

When I first tested my generator in my shed (setup shed to accommodate a running generator), the vibrations from the generator made the shed act like a speaker. The humming was intense.

Then I put the generator on top of 6" cinder blocks. The vibrations stopped and now the generator was almost inaudible when the shed door is closed.

So ya, wood floors will amplify the vibration noise, but a lot of weight added in between the generator and the floor will nullify it.