spc
uniqs
IT_guy_1999
join:2012-11-02

IT_guy_1999 to NuclearXP9

to NuclearXP9

Re: WOW Pricing & Ultra TV

said by NuclearXP9:

- while I have heard the latest firmware fixes or helps this - my family and I could not stand the latency between hitting remote buttons and the response on the tv. it was frustrating to pay money for a "consumer ready service" that had such an annoying and well known gap that went on well past a year it had been out

This is my biggest fear with moving to WOW! I have invested money in Harmony remotes and have an existing awesome setup for all my UVERSE TV's.. Latency on a freaking remote ruins the ENTIRE television experience. I think you have answered my questions.
NuclearXP9
join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

NuclearXP9

Do take my comments with a grain of salt, as it is rumored the new firmware helps. Also the remote latency is not due to the remote design, rather the remote commands are sent to the media player and then the gateway - since in actuality it is the gateway providing the UI and video feed.

dfs
@wideopenwest.com

dfs to IT_guy_1999

Anon

to IT_guy_1999
Since the firmware upgrade remote commands work good now.

dannyg40
@wideopenwest.com

dannyg40

Anon

Thanks everyone,
I'm going to let them install the Ultra this coming firday, and hopefully I won't have any issues with it, and my bill will actually stay locked in at the same price.
sparkydm
join:2012-05-10

sparkydm

I've been with WOW a long time. I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer! I have this constant feeling that I'm being ripped off by WOW. They had Fox Soccer when I signed up and then they dropped it. Their customer support is great! But, the cost benefit ratio has dropped dramatically since I've been with them. I'm getting the feeling they don't care about me anymore so, I'm thinking of returning the favor.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

said by sparkydm:

I've been with WOW a long time. I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer! I have this constant feeling that I'm being ripped off by WOW. They had Fox Soccer when I signed up and then they dropped it. Their customer support is great! But, the cost benefit ratio has dropped dramatically since I've been with them. I'm getting the feeling they don't care about me anymore so, I'm thinking of returning the favor.

Your bill is $200, but what services are you buying from them?

Mine is considerably less, but I don't buy phone from them (for example). I use a third party VoIP service, and my total bill is around ten bucks/month for phone.

And I'm perfectly happy with 15 megabit internet service. Truth be told I'd be happy with 8 megabit at this point, but I have the 15/2 so whatever. None of the 30 or 50 megabit service silliness here.

Anyway, the three TVs in my house would cost me $40/month in UltraTV hardware if I didn't have Windows Media Center and a Ceton tuner card in place. The tradeoff is, I bought my own hardware--the tuner card, a Windows box, and a couple of XBoxen plus some network infrastructure--up front. That takes my WOW TV bill down to nothing more than the cost of programming itself plus a single cableCARD.

How long have you been with WOW, and what was your bill when you first signed up?
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt to sparkydm

to sparkydm
How may players do you have? The base rental for ultra is $25 per month(gateway and 2 players)
alan92rttt

1 edit

alan92rttt to sparkydm

to sparkydm
quote:
I love the Ultra concept but, not the pricing. I keep looking and first chance I find something to replace their equipment, I'm gone. I'd settle for 4 tuners to get away from their rental fees. My bill is almost $200 with no extra movie channels and I still don't get Fox Soccer!
How many players do you have? The base rental for ultra is $25 per month(gateway and 2 players) plus $15 per player.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

Re: WOW Pricing & Ultra TV

FWIW these have been observations about Ultra including my price which I downgraded and is about $118/month with three set tops.
»New install