Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joker
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-24
Oceanside, CA

[DIRECTV] Odd Local ch line-up?

I had directv installed yesterday and it seems my local channels have been moved. Fox which was on ch5 is now on ch69. NBC was on ch7 is now on ch39, local ind ch which was on ch9 is now on ch59. My CBS and ABC and are in there rightful chs 8 and 10. Why would Directv move these ch so far up the listing, when 5,7, and 9 are not being used.
--
Blind as a Bat

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

A brand new install ? If so, wait.... I suspect the channels will remap (duplicate) down to their logical locations, i.e. 5, 7, 9, etc.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Joker

Just checked D*'s website and the channel lineup for your zip code and my above comment is probably wrong.

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
reply to Joker

According to the email I received from DirecTV the local line-up is the way it is because of Neilsen Research by my zip code. Which doesn't explain why Cox and TWC have the channels where they are suppose to be and Directv doesn't.
--
Blind as a Bat

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA
reply to Joker

Out of curiosity I went to DISH network to see what their local ch line-up list and it was even worse than DirecTV. So, not sure why Sat channels are different in cities than the cable stations.
--
Blind as a Bat

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

With Dish, the local channels are in the 5000 range, HD locals are in another oddball range, but they are re-mapped to their familiar channel locations on the receiver. For example, my local ABC is channel 2 and on Dish, they're channel 2. CBS is channel 7 and on Dish, channel 7. And so on....

timf

join:2012-01-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to Joker

DIRECTV places local channels on their OTA channel numbers and not the numbers used by cable operators. In San Diego, only channels 6, 8, and 10 are broadcast on those numbers. The other local channels are really on much higher numbers, but they market themselves based on their cable channel numbers because low channel numbers are preferable. My parents have Time Warner at their house, and with cable coming directly out of the wall the HD local channels also show up on the higher numbers (i.e. 39.1 for NBC, 69.1 for FOX).

Joker
Premium,MVM
Oceanside, CA

Exactly, 39 and 69, that is what DirecTV did in San Diego.

I moved from LA and just got my DirecTV back. All the local channels up there are at the right numbers. It is just something I am just going to have to get used to.
--
Blind as a Bat

videonex

join:2001-07-22
reply to Joker

Directv uses the the same channel numbers that you would for OTA. In San Diego, those are the correct numbers.