Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Windows 7 Mapped Network Drive

Seems no matter what I do I can't find the reason.

We have a Windows 7 system hosting our quickbooks database files. I've mapped the network drive and selected reconnect at login. I access the files just fine everything is great. I reboot the system and it comes up and says it couldn't reconnect all the network drives. So I click on the bubble it pops up the "Computer" window and the mapped drive has an x, but as soon as I click on it, it connects without an issue.

Why wont windows just connect the drive as it should? The scenario is I need the user to be able to just launch the computer, open quickbooks and select the database from the list. Instead of having to always go into Computer navigate to the network drive and then once it connects open quickbooks.

It's Windows 7 Pro.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I've run into this with a couple clients. (oddly enough also for quickbooks hosting) I found the easiest way to get around it was to create a .cmd file and drop it in the startup folder. Contents would be:
net use x: /delete
net use x: \\computer name\sharename

The first line removes the map if it already exists, the second creates the map.

If the share requires a username and password, the second line would be:
net use x: \\computer name\sharename /user usernamehere userpasswordhere

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to Edrick

to Edrick
I have also seen this happen when I set up a home directory on my File Server, using a Win7 client and Server 2008. When you open "My Computer" it shows it as disconnected, but if you click on it, it opens the user's home directory just fine. Any time after that, it shows as connected until a reboot is done. The user's home directory is set up in the user's profile in AD.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Edrick

to Edrick
I've seen this issue as well, so many times in fact that I don't think of it as an actual problem. Kind of odd that you can't get to the QBWs until you manually access the mapped drive, though. I wonder if it is actually connected but Quickbooks is merely assuming that it's disconnected. That wouldn't surprise me.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
I imagine network startup is asynchronous with respect to login. Or to state it differently, there's nothing to guarantee the network is fully operational before you log in.

You can test that hypothesis by disabling automatic logins, then waiting a couple of minutes before logging on. I'm not calling this a solution, simply a diagnostic aid.

Meanwhile, the reason it works 'later' is that the file-sharing layers are designed to disconnect at the TCP level when idle, and reconnect when needed. i.e., a mapped drive letter does not have a constantly-active network connection under it. So it just reconnects as normal.
wssddc
join:2001-08-21
Bedford, MA

wssddc to Edrick

to Edrick
Try this:

• Open a cmd window
  • Run gpedit.msc
  • Got to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon
  • Enable the policy "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"
  • Run gpupdate /force

This does not prevent logon if, say, your network cable is unplugged. It just waits until the local networking software is running.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Edrick

to Edrick
Odd you are having this. I have been having a fit with a client that requires a mapped drive on a PC outside of the trusted AD, and for the life of me I can not get it to map correctly via GP. It maps it but requires a password. I spent about 30 minutes, and have decided to put the PC into the trusted AD and be done with it.