San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to whoaru99

MVM

to whoaru99

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

I tried composing a reply; twice in the editor, and once as a mental exercise while the downtown San José, California nightlife. I can't do it without discussing corporatism, and its basic inhumane impact on our society. Suffice it to say, when marketing drives demand, people will let the electric bill slide for the sake of a $750 pair of sneakers.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

2 edits

whoaru99

Someone buys a pair of shoes instead of paying the light bill.

I don't doubt for a minute scenarios similar to that play out many times every day, but the company's fault for personal irresponsibility? Surely you jest?

You had me there for a minute until I realized you were just playing it. LOL, good one.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by whoaru99:

You had me there for a minute until I realized you were just playing it. LOL, good one.

Corporations have legal equivalence to people, now; but most have the moral equivalence to sociopaths. It irks me that I have to compete with AT&T for the attention of my elected representatives.

I once worked for a company whose founders created a humane workplace; and watched their successors turn it into a sweatshop.

The reason AT&T wants out of the wire-line business is because it is still regulated; a holdover from the days of "public regulated Monopoly". It isn't that wire-line is unprofitable, only that the level of profit does not allow for the accumulation of capital. And a common mistake WRT "capitalism" is that it is about the accumulation of capital. But that is really "corporatism". Capitalism is the use of capital to create an economy, which is diametrically opposed to capital accumulation.

I've been holding back for fear of moderation, but what the Hell; are the mods going to flay me? In Star Trek, the Next Generation, an alien race called, "Ferengi" was introduced. Intended to be the "Evil Empire" of TNG, they turned into comic relief. Their "Rules of Acquisition" aren't so comical as applied by the corporatists of the real, here-and-now world: AT&T, Charter, Sony Entertainment, Microsoft, etc., etc., etc.

I feel like I am on a roll, should I go on?
whoaru99

whoaru99

It might make for an interesting read if you do go on, but it will not change my opinion about -

1. Business charging what the market will bear if they so choose, without fear of being manipulated by non-market forces.
2. Individual/personal responsibility to manage your finances appropriately.
3. Don't buy it if you think it's a ripoff (refer to #1 & 2).

And so on...

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by whoaru99:

It might make for an interesting read if you do go on, but it will not change my opinion about -

1. Business charging what the market will bear if they so choose, without fear of being manipulated by non-market forces.

Why the ILECS want to get out of the wireline business; PUC regulations interfere with charging "what the market will bear".

2. Individual/personal responsibility to manage your finances appropriately.

Why corporations use marketing; social manipulation to convince people that they must have their Rubilator, whether they need it, or not.

3. Don't buy it if you think it's a ripoff (refer to #1 & 2).

If it wasn't for Sonic.net, LLC, I would seriously rethink the "need" for fast Internet. The most important things I have done on the Internet could have been done using a $9.00 dial-up connection. As it is, the MPAA/RIAA members have been getting much less from me (near zero) than in the past. I am not inclined to buy another game console; and it was only a show tie-in which led me to buy the Sony Playstation 2.

But there are still questions ... Am I my brother's keeper? Most people recognize certain responsibilities to other persons; but corporations, which won legal recognition as persons, don't recognize their responsibilities as persons in the human community.

I am not a communist, honest; but neither am I a corporatist.
whoaru99

1 edit

whoaru99

I think your responsibility is to help a person bleeding in the street, or perhaps to donate to the hungry or that sort of thing.

I don't think it's your place, in fact considerably overstepping your bounds, to suggest that you know what's best for me...i.e. try to "protect" me from buying a bottle of expensive booze or whatever.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by whoaru99:

I don't think it's your place, in fact considerably overstepping your bounds, to suggest that you know what's best for me...i.e. try to "protect" me from buying a bottle of expensive booze or whatever.

Way far from my concern. But there is still the matter of whether Internet service should have a "lifeline" rate. And the matter of when does profit become unconscionable. Internet service is not in the same category as booze.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to whoaru99

to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

I think your responsibility is to help a person bleeding in the street, or perhaps to donate to the hungry or that sort of thing.

Touche!

Yet you have no issue "telling" other customers how they should not push for cheaper broadband prices and lower speed services to meet THEIR needs. It makes you sound like the proverbial hypocrite.

After all.... How dare that puny customer having the nerve to tell the brass tacks at the corporate borg monopolistic utility what they want in terms of services and price!!. LOL
whoaru99

4 edits

whoaru99

You leave me no choice but to give you an "F" in reading comprehension.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

said by whoaru99:

You leave me no choice but to give you an "F" in reading comprehension.

Say's the PR guy that tries to convince the consumer that he is
"UNreasonable" to push providers for lower speed/ lower priced tiers of service to meet his needs.

You leave me no choice but to recommend that your employers terminate your services because of how completely UNconvincing you are. LOL
whoaru99

4 edits

whoaru99

Give it up man. Spare yourself the ongoing embarrassment of grasping at straws.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned) to whoaru99

to whoaru99

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

I was going to let you get the last word in since after all you ARE
a PR guy, but then I thought twice about your condescending attitude and reconsidered.
whoaru99

whoaru99

I was wondering how long you could hold out from posting more drivel.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

I does warm my heart to know that Tom & company will have to provide discounted internet service, whether they like it or not. His "my way or the highway" attitude towards current customers makes me glad to see outside pressures pushing back.
whoaru99

whoaru99

As as been my position all along if the customer/market drives it that's great. If they're forced by some agency that's bad, very bad.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

I don't like the thought of the government forcing the issue, BUT as a ordinary customer who pays the entire bill myself at market prices, the thought of the new CEO making a fortune and sticking to the same people (the customers ) that pay his huge salary by eliminating product choices makes me glad that any increase in profits will be partially scuttled by his greedy policies.