Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Will this be retroactive? Or start from today?

Thats what needs to be asked for the amount of phones that are already stolen and unknowingly being used because this database was not in place. Will those currently in use be exempt or will there be a lot of unhappy campers who currently have service and will wake up one day and see there phones have no service, when trying to dial out there will be a prompt that says " were sorry your call is being redirected to customer service please hold"

I could see a lot of that happening if they go retroactive with the system

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Re: Will this be retroactive? Or start from today?

this is the very reason i saved a stolen imei number, just waiting to be reported...now, maybe i'll have my chance.

i would love to see the face on the crook who bought or stole the phone when it's bricked!
--
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

But it's almost certainly not being used by the crook, but by someone who bought it innocently on a site like eBay or Craigslist

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

yes, which is a good reason not to use ebay, craigslist, backpage, etc...

c'mon, why do you think their stuff is so cheap??? did you really think only honest people use those sites, and they just tripped over the new merchandise in their closet and decided to sell it???

i bet you buy stuff out of the backs of vans in parking lots, and believe it when the seller says he just wanted to updgrade or just needed the money, but it's not stolen...

--
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03

Lets go back to the payphone days.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
Not always is it so cheep because of the reasons you stated Ive actually seen items on ebay go for almost retail price yet its used and may be stolen. Now with this new database going live there should be an easy website you can go to and input the imei or esn and verify it on the spot. I also know a lot of people who do sell there iphones and smartphones because they just upgraded to the newest model every year and they must have the latest and greatest item.( maybe I do travel with a higher/richer crowd of people)

Now as for Ebay there very much on the hook for stolen merchandise, Its not like buying things out the back of a van, it has been talked about but never implemented for ebay to change its cellphone sales policy and that any auction for a complete phone weather it be New, like new , used , broken, or complete but for parts it should be required to have the IMEI and ESN listed in the auction. From that point its all up to the buyer to do there due diligence and verify the item. It was also stated that ebay after the winning bid would hold the funds in paypal until the item arrived and the purchaser verified the condition and the IMEI/ESN matched the one that was listed on the auction. That would cut down on stolen phones on ebay.

As for craigslist and backpages well there not required or on the hook for anything and since the two are just like having an ad in the weekly paper for used items theres no way to verify anything until you actually meet the person and see the item upfront. You wouldn't hold the newspaper responsible if someone sold a stolen item in there classified so its just the same with Clist and BackP. However it would be nice if the two had links on there website to the cell phone database when ever you search for cellphones and warnings on the restrictions pages before you search for an item.

However as I said before the thief's will just get smarter and instead of selling it as a whole item learn how to dissemble it and sell everything part by part except for the mainboard as it holds the IMEI or ESN code then there are the even smarted ones who will clone a good IMEI/ESN and sell the phone that way.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

If I was eBay (but then again, this idea may cut into their profit), I would require that any cellphones being sold on ebay must have the imei number entered. Then, eBay should have a way to automatically check the imei # against the database and automatically prevent the seller from listing the phone.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us