dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
1371
share rss forum feed

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state

[Rant] Amazon - Please Check the Drive BEFORE You Send It!

Just a head's up to those getting Amazon-sold drives in OEM packaging...

Ordered a 1TB drive from Amazon, and my order showed up a few days earlier than expected. Yay!

Opened the box containing the drive, and it was a 500GB drive instead of the 1TB I ordered.* Boo!

Amazon processed the RMA online in about 30 seconds. Yay!

Now I have to ship it back (on their dime) and wait for the replacement -- hopefully the right drive this time! (Hmmmm)

* note that the drive I ordered was actually cheaper than the drive they sent me. I ordered a consumer grade 1TB WDC green variable speed drive, and they sent me a 500GB enterprise grade (5 yr warranty) 7200 rpm drive. Price difference between the two was about 16 bucks. I bought the drive as main storage for my WHS -- I already have a backup system drive ready to go, so I don't need another new 500GB drive.



psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

Kudos for being a savvy consumer.


Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Secyurityet

Assuming it was an RE4 and not one of those hideous Constellations, I would have kept it. Those are sweet drives.



hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to Secyurityet

Amazon is usually very good about fixing errors like this. The few times I had issues with the product they cross shipped and sent the replacement overnight.



Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Secyurityet

Mistakes happen. As said Amazon is usually great when it comes to returns, at least in my experiences. But I've only had to return one item before in the many many years I been using them.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix


wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Secyurityet

Speaking of HDD's and Amazon, look at this: »www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_···3c4fc8ad
The first 80 GB HDD is a WD, and if you click on the "Buy new" tab, you will come up with this: »www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C···rd+drive

But if you look at the "product description", you'll find this: "This drive has been professionally wiped of all data and is backed by a 30-day DOA warranty from STSI."

So it's really some old HDD that has been "wiped". Not my idea of "NEW". I was looking for a 80 GB HDD to replace my dead HDD in an old RCA8030N DVR, but if I decide to replace it, I'll buy a "new" 160 GB HDD, or just replace the DVR.



thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to Secyurityet

Was it a picking error by the warehouse? Clearly the wrong drive in the shipping box? Or was it a packaging error? 500GB drive in a 1TB drive package?

If it was a packaging error then it is not Amazon's fault at all and it would make zero sense for Amazon to be checking for such errors.

If it was a picking error then yes it is Amazon's fault. But it is still not cost effective to double check every single shipment. They likely have a procedure in place to double check a certain small percentage of shipments for picking accuracy. Double checking anything over that percentage would cost too much. It's much cheaper to piss off the occasional customer and issue an RMA.

I'm sure Amazon has a set customer service level of 90% or greater. Meaning it's cheaper to take the chances of pissing off 10% or so of customers than it is to ensure 100% order accuracy.


nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Secyurityet

Click for full size
said by wth:

Speaking of HDD's and Amazon, look at this: »www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_···3c4fc8ad
The first 80 GB HDD is a WD, and if you click on the "Buy new" tab, you will come up with this: »www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C···rd+drive

But if you look at the "product description", you'll find this: "This drive has been professionally wiped of all data and is backed by a 30-day DOA warranty from STSI."

So it's really some old HDD that has been "wiped". Not my idea of "NEW". I was looking for a 80 GB HDD to replace my dead HDD in an old RCA8030N DVR, but if I decide to replace it, I'll buy a "new" 160 GB HDD, or just replace the DVR.

Buy one of these instead.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

Was it a picking error by the warehouse? Clearly the wrong drive in the shipping box? Or was it a packaging error? 500GB drive in a 1TB drive package?

If it was a packaging error then it is not Amazon's fault at all and it would make zero sense for Amazon to be checking for such errors.

If it was a picking error then yes it is Amazon's fault. But it is still not cost effective to double check every single shipment. They likely have a procedure in place to double check a certain small percentage of shipments for picking accuracy. Double checking anything over that percentage would cost too much. It's much cheaper to piss off the occasional customer and issue an RMA.

I'm sure Amazon has a set customer service level of 90% or greater. Meaning it's cheaper to take the chances of pissing off 10% or so of customers than it is to ensure 100% order accuracy.

Good points. The first box had a label on top of the box, which had the description of the drive I ordered (and as I later discovered, my order number). That's why I didn't check further immediately.

Later on, I set the box down by my equipment tower, and that's when I saw a second set of labels on the side, with model and serial numbers, indicating it was a 500 GB drive. And that's what led me to open the box where I could plainly read the drive's label thru the anti-static bag. Didn't even take it out of the box; sent it back bag still sealed. (and yes, it was an RE4)

The replacement drive (arrived today) came in an unmarked box with three labels on it -- one, my order label; another, my order summary, and a third with a large bar code and item number, but no other indication there was a HD in the box.

Packaging complaint -- the smaller drive box was packed loose in a box twice its size. Here's hoping the end bumpers in the smaller box isolated the shocks of typical UPS handling.

Bottom line: Amazon did cross ship. They got their box yesterday, I got my box today. All's well that ends well.