·Anveo
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to User834

Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary

said by User834:

How can the bottom line be anything other than, "do I have the services I paid for?"

One more bottom line:
"Does the customer have a disaster recovery plan?"

Voip is a wonderful service saving us $$$. But IMHO the user needs to have a disaster recovery plan. Having at least one backup voip provider and a cell phone is always a good part of a disaster recovery plan.

Your internet connection could also fail so a backup internet connection should be considered. Your provider can have geo redundancy but that won't help you if your internet connection fails.

Also, an UPS must be considered as mandatory for a responsible voip user.
--
My VoIP News

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

said by Arne Bolen:

said by User834:

How can the bottom line be anything other than, "do I have the services I paid for?"

One more bottom line:

Voip is a wonderful service saving us $$$. But IMHO the user needs to have a disaster recovery plan. Having at least one backup voip provider and a cell phone is always a good part of a disaster recovery plan.

Your internet connection could also fail so a backup internet connection should be considered. Your provider can have geo redundancy but that won't help you if your internet connection fails.

+1
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Arne Bolen

said by Arne Bolen:

said by User834:

One more bottom line:

Voip is a wonderful service saving us $$$. But IMHO the user needs to have a disaster recovery plan.

Having at least one backup voip provider and a cell phone is always a good part of a disaster recovery plan.

Yes, we all need to practise what some of us so fervently preach.

And yes, I have all of those things, except the 2 ISPs.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

Ditto - except for 2 ISPs - have cell phones (that don't work very well in our house). That's why we have Voip.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX

Two ISP is a bit overkill.
That's the reason why I went to a GSM gateway.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Antar
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by XCOM:

I went to a GSM gateway.

Have you tried using voip through the GSM gateway? If so, how is the quality?
--
My VoIP News
Expand your moderator at work

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
reply to Arne Bolen

Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary

Arne,

Yes I have.
The quality is a good as your normal VoIP. There is time where the system has failed over and I have not even notice.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Antar
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by XCOM:

The quality is a good as your normal VoIP. There is time where the system has failed over and I have not even notice.

Thanks, it's interesting info. Are you using 3G or 4G in your GSM gateway?
--
My VoIP News

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

said by Arne Bolen:

said by XCOM:

Thanks, it's interesting info. Are you using 3G or 4G in your GSM gateway?

Arne,

I apologize I miss understood your original question.
I am not actually failing over data. I have a logic that checks for the ITSP availability. It ether returns with a 1 or a 0. 0 Fails over to the GSM gateway and uses the gateway for all outbound calls... The same logic applies from the ITSP's to me. If they see me not register than they send all calls to my GSM gateway. If it returns 1 than the interconnection continues to the ITSP. In my own opinion I didn't find failing over data an actual fail over solution. In case of a natural disaster we are going to be lucky if cell alone works. Back in Ike my cell worked but there was no data going on the network no 3G or 4G but basic incoming and outgoing calls where working.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Antar
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Thanks. I just thought you used voip over the GSM data connection.

The way you are using the GSM gateway is probably better as you don't risk latency and jitter. I have tested voip over a 3G data connection and I find the quality to be unacceptable for daily use, but it can be used if there are no other options.
--
My VoIP News