veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15

Re: Windows 8 anti virus Norton 2013 or something else?

said by KoRnGtL15:
I have not used Norton in YEARS! But, have heard good stuff about it now.
Go for Norton, you will not regret it.
quote:
My concern. I watched a youtube video on it and holy crap. Sooooo many settings and they look confusing. I would not even know where to start settings wise to make them optimal.
When I remember well, out-of-box settings are pretty well and will protect you in an adequate way. Fine-tuning can be done at the moment you have some free time available.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Norton has a 6 month trial. I am willing to give it a try. But, its for 2012 and you have to install it. Can you not register some where on Norton's website for the 6 month key? I only see for 1 month. I was also on the Norton forums and reading 2013 anti virus version is pretty buggy atm?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

I'm sticking with NIS 2012 until Symantec fixes NIS 2013.
Dustyn

Dustyn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
You can try here if you want 2013: »www.mostiwant.com/blog/n ··· uct-key/

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Prior to 2009 NIS for years sucked. In 2009 they were resurrected and certainly without qualification between then and the 2012 versions they remained one of the best.

But as discussed in several threads for their current 2013 version they have a problem with a serious aspect of their AV protection. The problem is serious enough that Norton wouldn't test their product with AV Comparatives arguably the premier or most respected AV vendor product tester. Too many that is a stop for now situation. Frankly all though it is a serious single element of the AV protection it may be fixable. If that can be documented that it is fixed I would highly recommend NIS.

Nimbus
Premium Member
join:2008-11-27
Moreno Valley, CA

Nimbus

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

But as discussed in several threads for their current 2013 version they have a problem with a serious aspect of their AV protection. The problem is serious enough that Norton wouldn't test their product with AV Comparatives arguably the premier or most respected AV vendor product tester.

The issue is not a problem with Norton's protection. Norton continues to score highly in real-world tests. The issue is that Symantec contends that the methodology used in one specific AV-Comparatives test does not provide a fair evaluation of what the product actually does, and so gives a misleading result. Because Symantec opted out of that test, they were prevented from participating in any of the other tests. As more products adopt newer strategies to prevent infections, there seems to be a growing recognition among some vendors that standard narrowly-focused detection tests are becoming less reliable indicators of how well a product will actually protect a system.

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com ··· do-them/

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

1 recommendation

Blogger

Premium Member

said by Nimbus:

said by Blogger:

But as discussed in several threads for their current 2013 version they have a problem with a serious aspect of their AV protection. The problem is serious enough that Norton wouldn't test their product with AV Comparatives arguably the premier or most respected AV vendor product tester.

The issue is not a problem with Norton's protection. Norton continues to score highly in real-world tests. The issue is that Symantec contends that the methodology used in one specific AV-Comparatives test does not provide a fair evaluation of what the product actually does, and so gives a misleading result. Because Symantec opted out of that test, they were prevented from participating in any of the other tests. As more products adopt newer strategies to prevent infections, there seems to be a growing recognition among some vendors that standard narrowly-focused detection tests are becoming less reliable indicators of how well a product will actually protect a system.

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com ··· do-them/

My understanding of the situation, (I know there have been some recent documented linked posts in other threads currently running and a some months ago on this subject and they all say the same thing), so for now I choose to go with that view that is somewhat different than your POV and the linked content you provided: Thanks for providing that.

First off we all agree that it is one particular test. But:

1. Norton never objected to that test before this version.
2. All of the other heavy hitters do not object to that test, ergo Kaspersky, MacAfee and on and one.
3. NIS 2009-20012 definitely has been a top of the line product.

AV Comparatives puts forth a strong argument of the value and worth or importance of the test in question stating the test has high reliability and validity.

So IMO the circumstantial evidence strongly supports Norton 2013 is at least suspect. For now. I'm open to change my mind pending new persuasive evidence.

I will speculate that Norton will freely submit next year to that test and of their entire NIS along with some spin making them sound good but regardless will end up submitting and passing the test or getting a "competitive score" with the other agreed upon many fine NIS or AV products.

Either way I think we can agree we haven't heard the last of the issue or that things will stay static.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Its now 90 day but are those in English? It shows a different language. I avoided downloading it because of that and went with the 30 day trial from Norton site. But, I am putting it on another pc now and willing to download the 90 day. If it is in english.
said by Dustyn:

You can try here if you want 2013: »www.mostiwant.com/blog/n ··· uct-key/