Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by jmck:

The new packages make Extreme Plus significantly better than Extreme (currently only a 4Mbit difference, same upload) and might actually make me consider jumping to Start.ca which offers that package unlike TSI.

Yeah, it's really about time that Teksavvy started to address aggregated POIs. I would prefer to stay with Teksavvy, but . . .

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.
mjollymo
join:2011-05-07
K7K0G3

mjollymo

said by jmck:

i raised the aggregated POI issue in an earlier thread asking TSI if/when they plan to move to it but got no response.

also unless I'm blind, there doesn't seem to be a Start.ca DSLreports forum, so i was curious if the monthly caps were the same situation as TSI/Rogers where they have no way to currently monitor your usage.

Here you go »Start.ca

I am on the fence between TSI and Start. I like TSI for their unlimited package, but I am liking Start for the higher speed tiers. I have some time to decide before my Rogers contract is up, may wait and see how the upgrade in speeds plays out.

mike21321
@teksavvy.com

mike21321

Anon

agreed if tech savvy doesn't get this speed bump and start.ca does because they are on aggregated POI im gonna be jumping ship especially because i wont have to pay the 50* activation fee and already bought my modem from techsavvy.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

Probably holding off as long as possible due to higher prices compared to current non-agg prices. Also, they'd have to pay a ton of fees to set up the new POI - you know that Rogers will try to find a way to charge TSI twice.. "Oh, you need to pay for these routers." Meanwhile, Rogers just moves them from one POI to York Mills' agg, and gets paid twice.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Webslinger

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

Yeah, it's really about time that Teksavvy started to address aggregated POIs. I would prefer to stay with Teksavvy, but . . .

Yeah, it's really about time that Start started to address the lack of unlimited options.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by 34764170:

said by Webslinger:

Yeah, it's really about time that Start started to address the lack of unlimited options.

For Rogers territory, Start is currently unlimited. Like TSI Rogers provides no usage tracking to them.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by jmck:

For Rogers territory, Start is currently unlimited. Like TSI Rogers provides no usage tracking to them.

Its a moot point when I already have proper options for unlimited. I am not going to move to Start just to knowingly defraud them for no gain for myself.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
X
Webslinger

Webslinger to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Webslinger:

I'm not on an unlimited plan with Teksavvy currently--nor will I ever come close to 400Gb per month, so I couldn't possibly care less. But sure, Start should offer unlimited plans at higher tiers.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Webslinger:

I'm not on an unlimited plan with Teksavvy currently--nor will I ever come close to 400Gb per month, so I couldn't possibly care less. But sure, Start should offer unlimited plans at higher tiers.

I am and for the speed tier I want its 200GB. I'd easily go over that every single month.
Webslinger
Premium Member

3 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

I am and for the speed tier I want its 200GB. I'd easily go over that every single month.

The reasoning involved for a switch demands that Start offers a faster service than Teksavvy (which is what this thread concerns itself with--faster download and upload speeds) and that the user would want to switch for that reason. Otherwise, the conversation is pointless.

In other words, am I (and other users) willing to pay $13+tax more per month to get an extra 10/1 and an extra 100GB download cap (given that myself and others are on Teksavvy's 300 GB Cable 28 plan), which Teksavvy can't offer because it's not using aggregated pois? Probably

Teksavvy does do stop-sells when there are congestion issues and is generally responsive to network problems. I don't know whether the same can be said of Start. Consequently, I may not switch, but the lure of faster speeds is certainly compelling.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

What any TPIA can offer is dependent on the agreement with the incumbent and the rules laid down by the CRTC. The incumbents have historically tried to avoid offering service improvements in a timely manner to TPIAs when they don't have to, although they have been smart enough from time to time to pass on some performance upgrades so as to avoid trips to the CRTC.

It has nothing directly to do with whether it's an aggregated or non-aggregated POI system unless the links from the TPIA to the POI is close to its loading limit, although that will also apply to the aggregated (centralized) POI too ... but instead of a geographic region getting hit, the entire customer base will feel the pain if the pipes are full

The major difference with aggregated and non-aggregated is the access to the incumbent's entire footprint, vs limited geographic regions both have benefits and drawbacks. The existing TPIAs have been constrained somewhat from the aggregated POI in part because of investment by the incumbent in providing the hardware and networking required at the headends needed for the POI. Another reason is to give other TPIAs an opportunity to enter the cable market without the impetous gained by the existing TPIAs from overwhelming them at the same time.

Eventually the existing TPIAs will be allowed to go aggregated but by and large it's out of their hands.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Unless I'm misreading from some of what you said, existing TPIAs can go on the aggregated network today by calling Rogers but TSI has chosen not to do currently.

In fact, Rogers is trying to speed up the switch as fast as possible.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

Unless I'm misreading from some of what you said, existing TPIAs can go on the aggregated network today by calling Rogers but TSI has chosen not to do currently.

In fact, Rogers is trying to speed up the switch as fast as possible.

Which is quite funny as they dragged their heels in setting it up in the first place.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

No, it's not TSI from my understanding ... Rogers don't actually want the incumbents to go aggregated until they are ready! There's a lot invested in the non-aggregated and there are lease agreements for the links from the POIs back to TSI that have to be sorted out and so on. And they set up planned transitions with the CRTC.
Webslinger
Premium Member

2 edits

Webslinger to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

It has nothing directly to do with whether it's an aggregated or non-aggregated POI system

Higher speed tiers being offered by Start has nothing to do with the fact its using aggregated POIs? Then why is Start offering Rogers Extreme Plus cable internet bandwidth speeds while Teksavvy isn't?

Or are you merely stating there's no technical reason why Teksavvy couldn't offer Extreme Plus speeds on its existing network? (If so, that's just a matter of semantics. The bottom line is that aggregated POIs do matter because the faster speeds can't be offered without them--just not for purely technical reasons.)

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I did say "directly" ... the non-aggregated POI model is potentially capable of the speeds, but requires higher bandwidht pipes to the POIs from TSI and bigger routers on Rogers end to sustain the customer base. Why invest in that from either side when in a comparatively short time they will join the aggregation.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

I did say "directly" ... the non-aggregated POI model is potentially capable of the speeds

Yeah, o.k., I took that as a given. The bottom line is without aggregated POIs, Teksavvy won't be able to offer higher speed tiers.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

They probably can offer some higher speeds like the 2Mbps up ... but higher speeds adds to the risk of congestion. Rogers has probably been quietly building up their backbone to handle this for their own.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by sbrook:

They probably can offer some higher speeds like the 2Mbps up ... but higher speeds adds to the risk of congestion. Rogers has probably been quietly building up their backbone to handle this for their own.

The backbone wouldn't be the congestion point.