how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL

2005 Murano control arm/fuel injection

I just came back from the dealer and was told that I needed to replace both lower control arms and have the fuel injection service done.

They said the fuel injection service needs to be done because they found the throttle body is dirty.

The prices they quoted are 1222.00 for the control arms and 170.00 for the fuel injection service.

Do you think they are trying to gouge me.

Would you get this done or dump the car?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Why not sit down with them and ask them to detail the work a little better for you.

All vehicles need some repairs/maintenance at some point in their life. You need to plan for this.

A few repairs aren't cause to dump an otherwise good vehicle.

Have them show you the breakdown between parts pricing and labor, and ask them how urgent the control arms are. What is the problem with them?

Is this a fair price? The devil is in the details. Without these details, we can't judge.

The fuel injection service is likely easier to defer than the control arms.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
I understand the need for repairs over a period of time.
But my car only has about 47,000 miles on it.

I have already replaced all of the brakes, rotors and calipers plus all of minor repairs over the years.

I should have included this info (my mistake)
The report says found both control arm bushings excessively worn/loose.
They also said it is a safety issue.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I would be quite surprised if you had replaced the calipers.

Taken another way, if the brakes have already been done, that is one major expense out of the way.
I would either give them a call back and ask the adviser to check with the tech about how urgent they are, or go elsewhere for a second opinion.

They may have also included an alignment in the estimate. This is a good idea, but depending on the suspension design, it isn't always essential with control arm replacement.

On vehicles I am familiar with (not Nissan), control arm bushings either aren't a common failure, or they fail very gracefully/gradually.

Aftermarket control arms are quite inexpensive for that vehicle (only about 100.00 per side). Is it only the arms that they are quoting, or were there other miscellaneous parts included too?
--

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
Thanks for the followup.

I will talk to them and also get a second opinion.

Yes, the calipers were replaced since they froze and couldn't be freed up.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
That surprises me given your low mileage.

Best of luck, please update us when you have news.
--

gillespie
Premium
join:2001-11-28
USA
reply to jl747
You're getting hosed, royally. Rock Auto has them anywhere from $60 to $104 and I think most include the balljoint. Get them there and find a good mechanic and have him install them. As far as the fuel injector service, it pays to shop around. Me personally I wouldn't have any work done at the stealership unless it was warranty work.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL

1 recommendation

Thanks

I am going to get a second opinion.

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to jl747
Definitely get the second opinion and with that second opinion ask them to do a full inspection.

We just got rid of our 2004 Murano (maybe 95,000 miles) after spending $4000-$5000 (with discounted parts) last year and another quote for $3500 this year (leaky rear differential which is a common problem with older model Muranos; among other stuff).

Then again your Murano is very low mileage, but still, an inspection wouldn't hurt.

jl747

Mount Prospect, IL
reply to jl747
Here is the follow up.

The shop inspected the car and said there is no need to do anything right now.
The bushings do have some dry cracking but do not have to be replaced at this time.
If I start to hear or feel something in the front end then it will be time.
They (we) will monitor it each time I take to them for service.

The quote they gave was considerably less than the dealers.