how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

[Wi-Fi] Latest Firmware for Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard

On Monday, Nov 5 Comcast will install internet cable in my uncle's home. He purchase a Motorola SBG6580 Wireless modem which they will setup. Can anyone tell me what the latest firmware is for this modem? I want to make sure the Tech upgrades the firmware before doing the install. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

The tech can't upgrade the firmware. The cable system will do it automatically when it's configured to.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to tippy2

Any firmware upgrade that Comcast deems necessary will be automatically pushed to the SBG6580 sometime after it goes on-line and is activated for your uncle's account. Unlike DSL modems and routers, cable modems and gateways generally do not have a local firmware update path; the ISP almost always controls what firmware is loaded on any given cable modem. There are a few exceptions, but they are very rare; and even then if the manually forced firmware is not the firmware that the ISP wants you to use, they will push their preferred firmware anyway.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

Thanks all for the replies. Relatives are wonderful - now my Uncle as decided to install the motorola Cable modem SB6121 given to him by a friend and he purchased a Netgear Wireless Router - N600. this will make his whole house wireless. Any potential problems with this Configuration? thanks

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tippy2:

Thanks all for the replies. Relatives are wonderful - now my Uncle as decided to install the motorola Cable modem SB6121 given to him by a friend and he purchased a Netgear Wireless Router - N600. this will make his whole house wireless. Any potential problems with this Configuration? thanks

Sounds like a good combination to me. I have a Motorola SB6121 and a Netgear N150, and they work quite well together.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tippy2

To be honest, a separate modem/router is better overall. Gateway devices put the whole firmware thing fully into Comcast's control.