how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

[Wi-Fi] Latest Firmware for Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard

On Monday, Nov 5 Comcast will install internet cable in my uncle's home. He purchase a Motorola SBG6580 Wireless modem which they will setup. Can anyone tell me what the latest firmware is for this modem? I want to make sure the Tech upgrades the firmware before doing the install. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

The tech can't upgrade the firmware. The cable system will do it automatically when it's configured to.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to tippy2

Any firmware upgrade that Comcast deems necessary will be automatically pushed to the SBG6580 sometime after it goes on-line and is activated for your uncle's account. Unlike DSL modems and routers, cable modems and gateways generally do not have a local firmware update path; the ISP almost always controls what firmware is loaded on any given cable modem. There are a few exceptions, but they are very rare; and even then if the manually forced firmware is not the firmware that the ISP wants you to use, they will push their preferred firmware anyway.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

Thanks all for the replies. Relatives are wonderful - now my Uncle as decided to install the motorola Cable modem SB6121 given to him by a friend and he purchased a Netgear Wireless Router - N600. this will make his whole house wireless. Any potential problems with this Configuration? thanks

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by tippy2:

Thanks all for the replies. Relatives are wonderful - now my Uncle as decided to install the motorola Cable modem SB6121 given to him by a friend and he purchased a Netgear Wireless Router - N600. this will make his whole house wireless. Any potential problems with this Configuration? thanks

Sounds like a good combination to me. I have a Motorola SB6121 and a Netgear N150, and they work quite well together.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tippy2

To be honest, a separate modem/router is better overall. Gateway devices put the whole firmware thing fully into Comcast's control.