I know for sure I have WPA2 just don't know if aes or psk

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

bradyr

Premium Member

if it's WPA2 and you have to enter a password to connect, it's more than likely WPA2-psk (pre shared key), as far as AES, your options are AES or TKIP..

AES is what you want.
Expand your moderator at work
bradyr

bradyr to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: [Wi-Fi] Looking for Docsis 3.0 Speed Capable Wireless Router

try changing the channel width back to 20Mhz for kicks. also another simple thing to try is updating your wifi drivers on your laptop (again, just for kicks)..

verify that WMM is enabled (not sure where that is in tomato config), and verify you arent doing any sort of QoS/traffic shaping on your router.

you'll have to fart around with it and test it as you go, it'll be a process so stick with it and i wouldnt just dump money into a new router unless you feel it's absolutely necessary.

I can't garauntee anything but i can say that the rt-n16 router is capable of sustained wireless speeds a hell of a lot higher than 18Mbps. my source on that is the fact that I have the same router and I've done iperf tests up around 85Mbps going over wireless-n with that router, using a 20Mhz channel bandwidth.
amendolaro
join:2012-11-02

2 edits

amendolaro

Expand your moderator at work
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to amendolaro

to amendolaro

Re: [Wi-Fi] Looking for Docsis 3.0 Speed Capable Wireless Router

The second router you posted is pretty old. If you need performance, you need a high end router and you'll need to spend about $150 to get it. The second router you posted and your current router are basically the same.