Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jtaylorbg

join:2012-11-03
York, SC

connecting Cat5 to ATT DSL splitter

Click for full size
I am self installing ATT Uverse for internet. Old house, old phone lines. The tech said I need an electrician to install a Cat5 line from the NID to the place where I want my DSL modem located. I think I can do it myself. The inside phone jack and Cat5 are no problem, but I don't know how to connect my Cat5 cable to the DSL splitter that AT&t installed in my NID. The attached picture shows the DSL splitter opened displaying four orange connectors. A red and and green wire are coming in the back of the splitter. I imagine I need to use the orange connectors inside the splitter to attach wires from my Cat5, but the connectors are not labeled.

Can anyone tell me what colors go where? Thanks!

jtaylorbg

York, SC
Well, some more searching and I think I'm closing in on my own answer . . . .
Each orange connector or terminal in the DSL splitter has two openings marked with T and P, which I assume is Tip and Ring. So, I just want to confirm what I think I've figured out --

Green = Tip and Red = Ring. That means I have only one line coming into the DSL splitter (just a red and green line coming inot the back of it) and that would logically be Line 1, the first orange connector/terminal.

I read that the equivalent colors for Cat5 are
White/Blue = Tip
Blue = Ring

I'm going to connect according to that scheme. If I'm wrong or need to know something else, would somebody please head me off at the pass!

Thanks!

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
reply to jtaylorbg
Your correct, and that piece is not really a splitter it would be a DMARC.
--
»www.w4lny.com

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
reply to jtaylorbg
said by jtaylorbg:

but I don't know how to connect my Cat5 cable to the DSL splitter that AT&t installed in my NID. The attached picture shows the DSL splitter opened displaying four orange connectors.

The module in the picture you posted does not appear to be equipped with a filter. Below is a picture of a corning module with a filter, notice the blue or purple tab for the filtered connections

said by jtaylorbg:

A red and and green wire are coming in the back of the splitter. I imagine I need to use the orange connectors inside the splitter to attach wires from my Cat5, but the connectors are not labeled.

Can anyone tell me what colors go where? Thanks!

The wires from the module connect to the at&t wire pair with the dsl signal
The orange connectors are where you connect the wiring from the wall jacks

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jtaylorbg
said by jtaylorbg:

I read that the equivalent colors for Cat5 are
White/Blue = Tip
Blue = Ring

That works fine

I typically use White/Green = Tip; Green = Ring for a Data (VDSL2, ADSL2+, HPNA, etc) pair, as the blue pair tends to be the standard for voice jacks
But really, any of the standard four pairs in a Cat 5 would work fine -- take your pick of blue, orange, green, or brown

jtaylorbg

York, SC
reply to dbeatson
I found a picture of a NID with the pictured module mislabeled as a DSL splitter. Thanks for the correction. Mission accomplished and the DSL is running fine.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
If the at&t wire pair has the dsl and voice signal on the same wire pair you should consider isolating the dsl signal to just the wire pair that connects to the dsl modem