join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to toolate

Re: [Modem] dsl down often recently instructions on new modem in

It is pretty hard to provide a definitive answer to such an open ended question, and the answer somewhat depends on exactly how you have connected your Netgear router to your Netopia router (and yes, the Netopia 2241n is a router).

If you have put your Netopia 2241n into bridge mode, and are doing the PPPoE authentication in your Netgear router, then you would need to also put your new "modem" into bridge mode (unless you actually purchased a bridge only modem). Specifically how to do this would depend on the "modem", and probably there would be an html menu in that new modem that would help you to do it.

If you currently are using the factory default router mode in your Netopia 2241n (with the Netopia doing the PPPoE authentication, and your Netgear router using DHCP on its WAN interface), then most likely any new "modem" that you purchased would be plug and play (except for entering your AT&T PPPoE authentication credentials). The only gotcha with using cascaded NAT routers is that the secondary router's LAN interface must be on a different IP subnet than the DSL router's LAN interface.

The Netopia "modems" that AT&T has issued in the past have had IP Passthrough and PPPoE passghrough modes, but not all DSL modem/routers have such modes, so if you are currently depending on one of those modes, you may need to change how you connect with your Netgear router.

When you get your new "modem", then post back here again if you have problems connecting. If you provide the necessary information, I am sure that someone will be able to help.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

toolate

join:2009-07-01
Cary, NC
NetFixer, thanks.
Many of the abrevs you used, I will have to look up...BUT...
I can tell you that I do have the 2241N in bridge mode. Is that the exact same as passthrough?? I think the 2241 was being phased out when I got dsl.

My consideration of buying a new modem is to entertain the idea that my problems COULD POSSIBLy BE a failing piece of old equipment.

If I buy a new modem, I assume I should get one that is sort of an all-in-one...modem, wireless router, etc.??? Or not??

Thanks for your answer.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Bridge mode means that the router portion of the Netopia 2241 is totally disabled, and another router (or PC) must do the PPPoE authentication and any routing that is required.

In IP passthrough mode, the 2241's router is still active, and the 2241 does the PPPoE authentication, but it passes the public IP address through to a selected device (usually the WAN interface of another NAT router behind it).

In PPPoE passthrough mode, the router is in its factory default mode, with its internal router active and ready to do the PPPoE authentication, but no PPPoE information is entered. Instead, if an external device (such as the WAN interface of another router) attempts to treat the 2241 as a bridge and do external PPPoE authentication, the 2241 will (attempt to) allow the external device to do the PPPoE authentication. This is a pseudo bridge mode, and it was very unreliable. It sometimes did not work with certain routers, and sometimes it would work fine for months or years and then suddenly refuse to work. If you are currently using the PPPoE passthrough mode, that may be your problem. It really depends on exactly what you meant by "the dsl goes down". If you meant that you lost DSL sync, then it would not be the problem, but if you are only losing the PPP session or IP connectivity, then possibly really putting your 2241 into bridge mode (or doing the PPPoE in the 2241 and using DHCP or static IP assignment on the Netgear router) might fix your current problem.

As for what kind of new modem to buy, most DSL "modems" these days are actually DSL routers (although any of them should allow you to set them in bridge mode). Personally, I prefer to have any modem I use (DSL or cable) be a simple bridge modem because most of the all-in-one devices are at best only barely adequate (think "jack of all trades...master of none"), although a combination modem and router will take up less desktop space if that is a consideration for you. If you want to go with an all-in-one device, I would have to say that the Netopia 3347 is a good reliable device, but if you are a gamer, its UPnP functionality may not be to your liking (it is primarily intended as a business router, and gaming functionality was not a priority in its design). There are a few pure DSL bridge modems available; I have used the Zoom 5615 in the past with an AT&T connection.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
I am not a gamer, so I have never used this capability, but my Netopia/Motorola 3347 has a place where they list a bunch of games that the unit can provide IP passthrough for. Perhaps this doesn't work well- I wouldn't know.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by daveinpoway:

I am not a gamer, so I have never used this capability, but my Netopia/Motorola 3347 has a place where they list a bunch of games that the unit can provide IP passthrough for. Perhaps this doesn't work well- I wouldn't know.

I am not a gamer either, and personally, I always make sure that UPnP is disabled on all PCs and routers. I have been told by people who did play a lot of on-line games, that the 3347's UPnP did not work very well for games, so that is why I included that caveat in my previous post. Its IP passthrough mode does work, and that would eliminate NAT and port forwarding problems for games, but only for the one selected PC (and that PC would then no longer have the 3347's firewall protecting it).
--