join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jazzlady

Re: Day 5, no power

said by jazzlady:

said by PrntRhd:

I spoke with a friend from work located in White Plains NY, the issue there: stations with no power to pump gas from the tanks are closed and the stations that do have power have been sucked dry. People drive around trying to find gas and line up if they find one open.

Which begs the question- why don't gas stations have generators?

Secondly- wouldn't it be possible to siphon gas directly from an underground tank even if a station has no power? Or is it too long a run?

If things are this bad now, I could just imagine how bad they will get in a national disaster.

They do require larger gas stations in South Florida to have backup generators per state law just because of the hurricane threat.
www.allianceforaging.org/pdfs/hurricanepreparedness.pdf

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

said by PrntRhd:

said by jazzlady:

said by PrntRhd:

I spoke with a friend from work located in White Plains NY, the issue there: stations with no power to pump gas from the tanks are closed and the stations that do have power have been sucked dry. People drive around trying to find gas and line up if they find one open.

Which begs the question- why don't gas stations have generators?

Secondly- wouldn't it be possible to siphon gas directly from an underground tank even if a station has no power? Or is it too long a run?

If things are this bad now, I could just imagine how bad they will get in a national disaster.

They do require larger gas stations in South Florida to have backup generators per state law just because of the hurricane threat.

One would think it would be similar here because of the snow and ice storm threat, but it isn't.

Maybe it's time to contact my local representatives about it...
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

You'd think that any station owner with a lick of sense would race home and take the generator from momma to power the station. There's gold in them thar tanks if I can just pump it out.

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

said by severach:

You'd think that any station owner with a lick of sense would race home and take the generator from momma to power the station. There's gold in them thar tanks if I can just pump it out.

I heard of a few gas stations in NJ doing exactly that- which proves it *can* be done.
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to severach

said by severach:

THIS
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--