uniqs

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

Ray422

MVM

HVAC drain question

My a/c drain is clogged, causing water to spill over the drain pan and into the a/c ducts. I poured water through the PVC to the outside and everything is fine with a good drain flow. Narrowed it down to between the drain pan and some kinda gismo I've never seen before? Sorta looks like an impeller or something?

Anyway, it's just a simple pan drain. I hate to tear the 3/4" inch PVC out for replacement or un-clogging without knowing what this weird gizzy is? I surely don't want to hunt something on a Saturday night in the middle of what should supposedly be an easy PVC fix. Please identify this weird animal for me

Can I just by-pass and replace this gizzy by splicing in regular PVC ??

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

It appears to be a trap.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

jack b to Ray422

MVM

to Ray422
Yup it's a condensate trap. It's designed to prevent cold air from continuously blowing out the drain pipe.
There are no moving parts but they can get clogged up with slime and cause the drain water to back-up into the pan.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to Ray422

Mod

to Ray422
From the pics it looks like it can be taken out to be cleaned.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

It appears to be a trap.

IT'S A TRAP! RUN!

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d

Premium Member

I agree with robbin.. Looks to be installed so you can take it out, and run pressurized water thru to power flush it.

Traps are just that, they trap any gunk, as well as providing a trap seal.. should be cleaned every 1-2 yrs

-j

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

Ray422

MVM

Ok folks, I really appreciate your help

Makes a lot of sense.
--Prevents cold air loss
--Traps dirt and debris
--Keeps the bugs out

Sounds like something I don't need to by-pass. I'll try to remove the clamp and twist it out for cleaning. That thing faked me off with the weird shape and those fixed protrusions sticking up and down. If I can't twist it out, will any old standard trap work or is there a purpose for the funny design?

The female boss made me stop working on it tonight. It was hot here today and she said the a/c had been off long enough, especially if I wanted anything for dinner. That got my attention, so I'll work on it tomorrow.

Thanks again

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

If you can't twist it out, cut the hose.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k to Ray422

Premium Member

to Ray422
Once you get it out and clean it you can reinstall it lower down, outside of the plenum, where you can more easily get to it. That would make future service a lot easier.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to Ray422

Premium Member

to Ray422
By the way, the white plug on the drain pan is where you should be replaced with an overflow shutoff switch, if the pan gets full, it will kill the power so the AC stops running.

This is if you don't want to use the plug hole

»hdsupplysolutions.com/sh ··· h-140503

This is you replace the plug

»www.smdresearch.com/inde ··· ainFrame

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77 to Ray422

Premium Member

to Ray422
said by Ray422:

If I can't twist it out, will any old standard trap work or is there a purpose for the funny design?

Any trap will work. Most of them out there are simple field made p-traps made from a few PVC elbows glued together. Whatever the outcome is with your situation, make sure this trap or any one you make/install is easily removed and re-installed for cleaning. Just dry press a couple connections together or used unions, for example. I am amazed at how many are permanently glued in place. Makes servicing them a real PITA. They should be cleaned yearly with the AC checkup.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

yearly with the AC checkup.

what's that?

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

That's the thing that roughly 2% of people with AC actually do.

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by Cho Baka:

It appears to be a trap.

IT'S A TRAP! RUN!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ai8FF3F4