spc
uniqs

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Beezel to itguy05

to itguy05

Re: Engine missing after being at shop--what now?

said by itguy05:

said by Kearnstd:

Never knew that about turbos. Though maybe its variable per car. I have the turbo engine in my 2012 Cruze and the manual never mentioned sitting there idling for a bit.

Depends on the car. I know with Ford's Ecoboost engines the turbo bearings (What get hot) are water cooled and do not need an idle down period. They circulate coolant around them and that will keep them cool when shut off.

From Ford directly:

"Designed for a life cycle of 150,000 miles or 10 years, EcoBoost’s turbochargers feature water-cooled bearing jackets. This architecture is designed to prevent oil “coking” that could occur in previous-generation turbochargers. The new design means that EcoBoost drivers don’t need to observe special operating precautions, such as idling the engine before switching it off."

Here is the real scenario that happens with turbos.

Turbos can spin in excess of 50,000+ RPM's. When it is spooled up "IE. making boost" the water does help keep the temps down and the oil keeps the bearing lubed (which is what helps keep it from destroying itself). But here is the kicker.

When you shut the engine off after acceleration and a quick stop, or rev the engine before just before shutdown (this is mostly for those with manual tranny's), the turbo keeps spinning until it stops after the engine is off. The speed at which the turbo was operating at before engine shutdown determines how long it will take the turbo impellers to stop spinning. "The slower the better" before shut off. When shut off and the turbo is still spinning down, not all cars are still circulating the coolant and/or oil to keep the bearings cool. This is where you run into short life spans. Even if your Ford has liquid cooled bearings does it still have a water pump circulating the coolant to the turbo, or a after oilier circulating oil to it? So it is still wise to wait a minute or several seconds before you shut the engine down, because not all cars have those function. My VW GTI has a secondary "timed" electric water pump just to pump the coolant to the turbo after shutdown. A nice feature but I still wait for the turbo to slow before shutting it off.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

I always thought there was some reason behind my desire to avoid turbocharged engines - the discussion pretty much quantified my instincts.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by EGeezer:

I always thought there was some reason behind my desire to avoid turbocharged engines - the discussion pretty much quantified my instincts.

Something you had never heard of or considered was the reason behind your desire to stay away from turbocharged engines?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by JAAulde:

Something you had never heard of or considered was the reason behind your desire to stay away from turbocharged engines?

No, it's just that I'd heard very little of the specifics of increased maintenance, additional startup and shutdown needs and other issues.

I've avoided turbocharged engines because there were too many parts moving at too high speeds in too high temperatures and yielding too little benefit to me over normally aspirated engines.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

Beezel

said by EGeezer:

said by JAAulde:

No, it's just that I'd heard very little of the specifics of increased maintenance, additional startup and shutdown needs and other issues.

I've avoided turbocharged engines because there were too many parts moving at too high speeds in too high temperatures and yielding too little benefit to me over normally aspirated engines.

Once you experience the added power and torque a turbo adds, then you might reconsider.

Turbos actually only have 1 major moving part. Two impeller blades joined by a common shaft (most common failure the bearings go or the shaft breaks). Then a waste gate that is regulated mechanically or electronically to help control the boost pressure.

There is another type of turbo (variable vane turbo's, the exhaust side impeller blade can change their pitch for added turbo RPM's to make more boost without requiring a increase in engine speed) but those are mainly used in heavy duty commercial situations. So those don't really apply to general automotive use.