exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to exocet_cm

Re: Indentify receptical

Not from the manual, from the generator itself. Any where I should look on the generator? Circuit breaker the only option?

Since the manual is reporting different things, and my generator might be from before the manual was updated, I'd rather look on the generator itself.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
It MIGHT be written near the outlet, or somewhere on the specs tag.

You won't get more than 16A out of each 120V leg, so I wouldn't worry about the breakers being UNDERrated, I'd worry about them being overrated and allowing you to stall your generator.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by alkizmo:

It MIGHT be written near the outlet, or somewhere on the specs tag.

But what does it matter what the breakers are?
You won't get more than 16A out of each 120V leg, meaning you can't expect to get more than the minimum out of each circuit (15A).

Curious as to what it is putting out. It worked great during Hurricane Isaac running out of the L5-30 circuit but I've never used the L14 circuit and I want to know what it can put out before I use it.
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by exocet_cm:

Curious as to what it is putting out. It worked great during Hurricane Isaac running out of the L5-30 circuit but I've never used the L14 circuit and I want to know what it can put out before I use it.

It can output twice what the L5 did, but not combined.

As in, it can offer 2000W on one circuit and 2000W on another circuit, but it cannot do 4000W on ONE circuit unless its 240v.

If you really have L14-30R, it's just a receptacle and doesn't mean it is able to do 30A @ 240v. Maybe it's just the manufacturer saving money by simply using the same receptacle on all their generator models.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by alkizmo:

said by exocet_cm:

It can output twice what the L5 did, but not combined.

As in, it can offer 2000W on one circuit and 2000W on another circuit, but it cannot do 4000W on ONE circuit unless its 240v.

If you really have L14-30R, it's just a receptacle and doesn't mean it is able to do 30A @ 240v. Maybe it's just the manufacturer saving money by simply using the same receptacle on all their generator models.

Ok, cool.

You guys have answered a lot. When I get back to New Orleans I'll check and confirm the plug type. If it is different than what was listed here I'll update the thread.

Again, thanks for all of yall's help.
--