spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kashim

join:2012-11-03

Need new ISP, Unlimited+Phone+Usenet (with MNSi now)

I live in the LaSalle/Windsor (Ontario) area and I'm looking for a new ISP. I have my phone and internet service through MNSi right now.

What I'm looking for is the following;

Cable or DSL (but DSL preferred)
Speed of 4Mbit or better
Unlimited bandwidth
Home phone service
Usenet access (binary) with decent retention
Price of around $60/month (that's what I'm paying now)

I've been on MNSi's unlimited 4Mbit/800Kbit DSL + phone service for a number of years. This included limited (1GB/day) Usenet access until recently. About a week ago my Usenet was cut off and I called MNSi about it. Apparently not many customers were using Usenet and they decided to discontinue it.

MNSi was actually providing their Usenet access through a third party (Newsguy) and I was unaware of this. The MNSi support person suggested I buy my Usenet access directly from Newsguy, but they want $17.59/month for unlimited access. I don't really feel like paying extra for something I've been getting for free. That's why I'm looking for a new ISP.

So far I've looked at Teksavvy, but it doesn't seem to be available in my area. Their website won't even show me a list of services and prices. They just want me to check if service is available in my area and the search says it is not.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON

Hey Kashim,

Can you PM me and I will investigate this further for you. I want to double check your address as at times the databases are not fully up to date with the new addresses. (i.e. new home/development etc)

Thanks
Pierre A
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Kashim

If you made do with 1GB/day why do you need unlimited at $17.59/month from Newsguy? The 50gb/month for $100/year ($8.33/month) seems like a better match.

Most providers reduced or dropped newsgroup services long ago so your unlikely to find one with decent retention and binary groups.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to Kashim

Hi Kashim,

Sorry about the Usenet thing - we had literally 30 customers left using the service. We sent out a couple of rounds of e-mails to the customers still using it - not sure if you got missed or not.

Newsguy's plan that is comparable to what we used to offer for free is around $8.00/month. If you can't find what you're looking for elsewhere, that might be an option.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Kashim

reply to BrianON

said by BrianON:

If you made do with 1GB/day why do you need unlimited at $17.59/month from Newsguy? The 50gb/month for $100/year ($8.33/month) seems like a better match.

I don't need unlimited Usenet, but I would prefer it. Even at $8.33/month it's still $100 more a year I didn't have to pay before. Maybe an extra $100 a year is trivial to some of you, but it is not to me.

Kashim

reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

Hi Kashim,

Sorry about the Usenet thing - we had literally 30 customers left using the service. We sent out a couple of rounds of e-mails to the customers still using it - not sure if you got missed or not.

I probably did get an e-mail about it, but since I don't use my MNSi e-mail account, I never saw it. It doesn't really matter though, because you were getting rid of Usenet whether I got that e-mail or not.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
reply to Kashim

If you just need usenet service and aren't a heavy user then you could try the free services from XS Usenet or Tera News.

Or if you have IPv6 internet access then you can access free usenet from Eweka, Tele2 & Xs4all.

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON
reply to Kashim

For the amount of Usenet you are using you would probably be best to got with a block account.

Check out Blocknews.net (I use them currently as a backup to my Easynews account)

Another alternative is frugalusenet.com same back end as Block News, but they offer cheap monthly rates with 300 day retention.

For other Usenet alternatives hit the filesharing forum
»Filesharing Software

Expand your moderator at work