how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

germ65

join:2009-10-27
reply to medbuyer

Re: Crappy AT&T install

Ok, will do but not right away, possibly this weekend.

I can assure you that it was installed by AT&T when I switched to dry loop DSL a couple of years ago. It ain't pretty. And, in typical AT&T way, it was attached badly to the wood board in the back of the box, with only one screw (instead of two).

civicturbo

join:2009-11-08
USA
reply to medbuyer

The poster must live in a dry climate like me(las Vegas) we have those cheap tin boxes half sunk thru the stucco on every house here, you can even buy them at Home Depot. Their as cheap as they look, NEVER survive the weather in my home state of MN or anywhere in the Midwest. Or actually any state with rain or snow. I rewired and don't use mine

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to germ65

said by germ65:

with only one screw (instead of two).

You're really splitting hairs, here.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to civicturbo

said by civicturbo:

The poster must live in a dry climate like me(las Vegas) we have those cheap tin boxes half sunk thru the stucco on every house here, you can even buy them at Home Depot. Their as cheap as they look, NEVER survive the weather in my home state of MN or anywhere in the Midwest. Or actually any state with rain or snow. I rewired and don't use mine

that's not a NEMA enclosure right?

was that like a builder installed and wired enclosure?

civicturbo

join:2009-11-08
USA

Nema!!!! Hahahaha ok you must be being sarcastic because if i was drinking anything i would have spite it out all over my iPhone. I'll have to shoot a little vid of these when I'm in the depot next time.

germ65

reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

said by germ65:

with only one screw (instead of two).

You're really splitting hairs, here.

Yes, I like things done properly

And I forgot to mention: There were two screws holding the cover of the box. After AT&T's installer visit, only one of them was screwed in. The other was on the floor...

I am not making this up.

germ65

reply to germ65

@civicturbo, @asjamias: Yes, I hail from sunny California. This part of the house was an addition by the previous owner. The box may be cheap, but it does its job.

medbuyer

said by germ65:

@civicturbo, @asjamias: Yes, I hail from sunny California. This part of the house was an addition by the previous owner. The box may be cheap, but it does its job.

I didn't know that houses up in your area came with that box...

down here, builders just leave cat5 and rg6 cable with enough slack so phone and cable can be connected on the side of your house where the demarc is just like yours....

difference is, phone has its own NID box just like this...»emuneee.com/images/uverse/NID2.jpg

and a cable "NID" just like this...»www.reeleysoft.com/wp-content/up···0901.jpg

wires coming out of that going inside the house go up in the attic and gets distributed there OR you can customize it like what I did...like this...»www.diychatroom.com/attachments/···anel.jpg mine's just a little simpler...

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to germ65

said by germ65:

Properly is very subjective.

ATT has a corporate standard, which you do not like. Blaming the tech is in bad taste.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to germ65

I probably would have ran it the same way. Reason being I wouldn't want to be responsible for damage to the comcast cable.

germ65

reply to medbuyer

Very nice! Exemplary wiring.

I wonder though why your wires don't go through a plastic conduit. What if you have to rewire after finishing the walls?

DataRiker
Premium
reply to David

said by David:

I probably would have ran it the same way.

99 out of 100 techs would have done it exactly like that.

Namely, because that is exactly how we are trained to do it, for numerous reasons. One as you said not to damage the cable, two because having drop lines on the interior of a house can cause major damage if a tree happens to fall on it, and lastly the tech really has no way of knowing where that hole goes.

As a tech I see cable lines going in and out of houses in random spots and rarely are they the same line.

germ65

reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

said by germ65:

Properly is very subjective.

In this case it isn't. When a box has two screw attachment holes it means it needs to the attached with TWO screws, not one.

DataRiker
Premium

2 edits

said by germ65:

In this case it isn't. When a box has two screw attachment holes it means it needs to the attached with TWO screws, not one.

What exactly are you referring to?

Can you post a picture?

medbuyer

reply to germ65

said by germ65:

Very nice! Exemplary wiring.

I wonder though why your wires don't go through a plastic conduit. What if you have to rewire after finishing the walls?

I didn't use plastic conduit since the studs on some areas were just too thick so I ran 2-3 runs each of cat5e and rg6 in each bedroom [5], living room [for home theater] and kitchen + an extra drop of each in my home office...if I do end up needing more, I can always fish or call somebody to do it for me...

My bonus / game room is unfinished so I can still pull all the wires I want to, to make it my man cave...

==================

back to your issue / rant....

can you post a pic of the whole "NID"? I also wanna see what screw are you talking about...

germ65

reply to DataRiker

Here are the requested pics. First, the entire box (I know, it ain't pretty):

Then, the inside of the "NID".

The green pair is the new U-verse DSL connection (a technician showed up the day of the activation and swapped the orange pair for the green pair). The red pair is the wire to the second phone line in the house.

Notice the two screws holding the box to the back panel. The AT&T installed put in only one. Obviously, the box isn't going to be stable with only one screw.

germ65

reply to DataRiker

Completely disagree.

said by DataRiker:

said by David:

I probably would have ran it the same way.

99 out of 100 techs would have done it exactly like that.

Namely, because that is exactly how we are trained to do it, for numerous reasons. One as you said not to damage the cable,

The conduit is over one inch wide. The fishline has a rounded head, so as to not damage an existing cable.
said by DataRiker:

two because having drop lines on the interior of a house can cause major damage if a tree happens to fall on it,

Huh? If a tree falls on the cable, the cable will just snap. No "damage" to the interior of the house.

said by DataRiker:

and lastly the tech really has no way of knowing where that hole goes.

As a tech I see cable lines going in and out of houses in random spots and rarely are they the same line.

In this case it's pretty obvious. A one minute experiment of sending up a fishing line 4 feet and looking inside the woodpecker hole with a flashlight would have cleared that.

It's funny how the installers' guild members protect each other in the face of evidence. Reminds me of cops.

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits
reply to germ65

Firstly, drop lines don't always snap. During training we were shown many pictures of the insurance claims and payouts ATT has made for fishing drop lines into interiors. So, I guess ATT just made that up right?....its all a conspiracy....

Secondly, that is not a nid, its a "B-box" and I can't imagine why you would waste another screw on that. It weighs about 1/6th of a pound.

In my region Uverse requires an actual nid.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to germ65

said by germ65:

It's funny how the installers' guild members protect each other in the face of evidence. Reminds me of cops.

Only you're arguing against a corporate policy that techs have zero control over.

Calling a tech an idiot for doing his job the way his employer demands is rather silly.

Juneau

@sbcglobal.net
reply to germ65

"In this case it isn't. When a box has two screw attachment holes it means it needs to the attached with TWO screws, not one."

By your reasoning those boxes with multiple screw attaching points for different kinds of mounting need a screw in every hole. That makes no sense.

medbuyer

reply to germ65

uuhhmm....I hate to say this to you OP but with that enclosure, I would seriously consider cleaning / re-wire everything up and even maybe bring in the connections inside the house.

I understand you feel disappointed with how they ran the wire and how they forgot the screw, but with that kind of wiring, I think you're over reacting to the whole situation.

I would leave the U-verse NID and the main cable connection outside, then bring in the rest, specially that amp. I used dielectric grease on my cable connections outside to prevent moisture from coming into the connectors.

Believe me, there are much worse installs than yours....

my .02 cents..

germ65

reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

said by germ65:

Only you're arguing against a corporate policy that techs have zero control over.

Calling a tech an idiot for doing his job the way his employer demands is rather silly.

You are right that this may be dictated by company policy. It doesn't make me feel any better.