uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
This is a sub-selection from [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Lonely

@Level3.net
reply to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

How terrible would some of these games that work play once you have hit your monthly limit? How terrible is the overall connection once monthly limit is hit anyways? I am a long time (all of my life) user of dial up and only tasting the sweet bliss of high-speed rarely. I have always wanted to try satellite internet but the pricing always feels sad compared to in-town prices of cable/dsl. But what can you do... I'm ready to try! Plus I do work online, which has always been a bummer with slow dial up...

I was thinking of getting the cheapest Gen4 plan. Even if you have a different plan, please let me know how your experience is after hitting cap.

Thanks for the informative thread!

Finn

join:2012-07-03

I'm not on Gen4 but when I hit the cap I get throttled to around 15K/sec with turbopage disabled. The only game I've tried while being throttled was Runescape and it worked, you can also still sign into Xbox Live. I don't get capped very often, but for me getting throttled isn't a huge deal, I'm more annoyed by peak hours. Usually around 7PM-10PM I'm barely able to browse the net and I'm unable to sign onto Live.

I'm not sure, but I think the Gen4 usage meters aren't running (At the time of this post) so there's no way to tell how well it will perform once you get throttled.

Lonely

@Level3.net

Cool, thanks for the reply. So I can suspect the throttled rate will be the same or better on Gen4, that's good. And 15K/sec is still better than dial-up, though some things would probably work better on dial-up still due to latency.