uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Sandy's devastation is even worse then I thought

The more I read and see of what Sandy's impact has been the realization sets in in the enormous scope of the damage and the expense of the losses it's caused are truly enormous.

I think the true costs of this storm are going to continue to pile up for a long time.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
One thing I don't get is... there was ample warning... why did so many people seemingly not prepare?

I know you can't evacuate NYC, but why not stock up on things like ice (or even freeze bags of water), canned food, flashlights, batteries, etc. beforehand?
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by pnh102:

One thing I don't get is... there was ample warning... why did so many people seemingly not prepare?

I know you can't evacuate NYC, but why not stock up on things like ice (or even freeze bags of water), canned food, flashlights, batteries, etc. beforehand?

Some do, some don't. I'd been watching the weather and knew a week before it hit that we might have some trouble on the horizon. I have enough batteries for a month, same with water, prob 2-3 weeks of canned goods.

Right now, two things are the problem:
Still no power
Fuel is not easy to get unless you have 2-4 hours to kill.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
Understandable. These situations aren't gonna be easy. But it just seems like it took only a matter of hours for civilization to start breaking down in NYC. Just from watching the videos, many of these people were in a state of total shock (an almost "this can't happen here" look on their faces).

They really think the government is gonna save them. Given how FEMA can't do anything right (they even said they are running out of supplies themselves) I have a bad feeling many many more people will be dead because they did not do what you did.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by pnh102:

Understandable. These situations aren't gonna be easy. But it just seems like it took only a matter of hours for civilization to start breaking down in NYC. Just from watching the videos, many of these people were in a state of total shock (an almost "this can't happen here" look on their faces).

I watched social order starting to break down around here on Wednesday evening. A fist-fight at a gas station over fuel, and some stories of looting from friends of mine in hard-hit neighborhoods.

said by pnh102:

They really think the government is gonna save them. Given how FEMA can't do anything right (they even said they are running out of supplies themselves) I have a bad feeling many many more people will be dead because they did not do what you did.

You're right, the Government isn't going to do shit for you. Or, at least you should plan for the fact that they aren't going to do shit for you. The Dept of Defense told Gov Cuomo that they had directed FEMA to bring a tanker of fuel to a hard-hit down called Freeport. People heard about it, lined up and waited. The tanker never showed. Gov blames DOD/FEMA. DOD has no idea what happened right now.

There are a series of cascading infrastructure failures happening right now including power delivery and fuel, coupled with cold weather and a nor'easter arriving that aren't helping. It's bad here, and it goes from bad to worse if you just go a little south. By me, 100 foot pine's down all over and took the lines with it, with some of them through homes and crushed cars. 5 miles south of me it looks like downtown Baghdad the day after we bombed it. If people did not go out and do what they needed to do for another week's worth of no power, then I don't know what to tell them. It wasn't a choice of mine to wait 2 hrs for 10 gallons, but it had to be done to keep this generator running. If I get grid power back, it gets poured into the cars.

I prepared myself, and in hindsight, there are things I would do differently for next time and some additional things I didn't think of.

First thing on the agenda next spring: install a transfer switch so I can safely use my generator to power parts of my home, including my oil burner.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
said by Jeffrey:

said by pnh102:

I watched social order starting to break down around here on Wednesday evening. A fist-fight at a gas station over fuel, and some stories of looting from friends of mine in hard-hit neighborhoods.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say civilization started breaking down but the damage was definitely worse than most were expecting. Strangely, department stores had record profits on the days following the storm. Fights on gas lines? Sure but this is NYC, that happens all the time even without a storm. I definitely see the media playing up the 'chaos' to increase customers; but then, don't they always?

There is really no way to prepare for a 10+ foot storm surge except to evacuate coastal areas. Most people listened to the warnings and the death toll is much lower then it would have been had they stayed. The biggest surprise was definitely the cutting-off of the gasoline supply... all the people who prepared with generators found out they weren't as prepared as they thought. Gas is another thing that is a little difficult to plan for, though, without your own rotating reserve. For most people that would be extreme considering the frequency with which events like this happen.

+1... never expect our government to save you. But I would add that capitalism isn't going to do it either.

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by CXM_Splicer:

said by Jeffrey:

said by pnh102:

I don't know that I would go so far as to say civilization started breaking down but the damage was definitely worse than most were expecting.

I have a buddy in Baldwin Harbor, down on the south shore. One of the canals is his normal backyard. He's been down there guarding his house and boats, as some young adults roam the streets looking to rob homes. He hasn't had to shoot anyone yet, but he says it's dangerous down there. His neighbors are handing out guns to those that want them. The National Guard is patrolling, but there isn't enough. There is a marked difference in social order and destruction from the immediate south shore to areas a mere 5 miles to the north. One area looks apocolyptic, and the area to the north has a few big trees and power lines down, with little to no problems with social order.
--

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
That is very interesting... my girlfriend lives in Freeport about 1 mile from Baldwin Harbor and she hasn't experienced any of that. She is north of Atlantic and didn't get flooded but 2 blocks away did.

I don't see what you are describing as a breakdown, I see criminal elements taking advantage of a situation. Looters may not be career criminals but I wouldn't classify them as 'otherwise good people' either. A 'breakdown in civilization' is when people like your friend start looting because it is the only way he is going to survive. Civilization is alive and well in Baldwin Harbor, your friend's neighbor giving out guns is proof of that... in a breakdown, he would only be giving out bullets.