share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer

Re: [Modem] dsl down often recently instructions on new modem in

I am not a gamer, so I have never used this capability, but my Netopia/Motorola 3347 has a place where they list a bunch of games that the unit can provide IP passthrough for. Perhaps this doesn't work well- I wouldn't know.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by daveinpoway:

I am not a gamer, so I have never used this capability, but my Netopia/Motorola 3347 has a place where they list a bunch of games that the unit can provide IP passthrough for. Perhaps this doesn't work well- I wouldn't know.

I am not a gamer either, and personally, I always make sure that UPnP is disabled on all PCs and routers. I have been told by people who did play a lot of on-line games, that the 3347's UPnP did not work very well for games, so that is why I included that caveat in my previous post. Its IP passthrough mode does work, and that would eliminate NAT and port forwarding problems for games, but only for the one selected PC (and that PC would then no longer have the 3347's firewall protecting it).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.