spc
Search similar:

uniqs

laura h
@myvzw.com

laura h

Anon

[help] Is my landlord is ripping me off? wont let me see cable b

How much is the optimum cable portion with two boxes, one being hd and a dvr box, and the other cable box is not hd or dvr. He has tripple play GOLD. But I don't use his lan phone, or his internet.

He is charging me 60.00. At first, he tried charging me 80.00 and I told him I wasn't doing that.

Thank you in advance for your responses!!

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

Re: [help] Is my landlord is ripping me off? wont let me see cab

Well according to the price chart, Optimum Gold is $109.95, An HD Box runs about $7 and DVR is 10.95. It sounds like you are getting a good deal if he is charging you $60.00.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to laura h

Premium Member

to laura h
He is ripping you off big time.

Just call Cablevision and get your own service.

aztr0
join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY

aztr0 to laura h

to laura h
If he won't let you see the bill then there obviously is an issue of trust right there. What's wrong with getting your own service?

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

4 edits

RickNY to laura h

Premium Member

to laura h
said by laura h :

He is charging me 60.00. At first, he tried charging me 80.00 and I told him I wasn't doing that.

Thank you in advance for your responses!!

What your landlord is doing is illegal. Even if he was giving it to you for free, it would be illegal - its cable theft.

If you are in a separate apartment, with your own cooking facilities, you are in a separate residence and you are supposed to get your own cable service -- he is not allowed to share his service with you -- let alone charge you for it. It is no different than him running a line to his next door neighbor's house and them splitting the bill.

The fact that he is charging you for it makes it even more of an issue, and classifies it as commercial cable theft.

The only time it is legal for a landlord to charge you for cable service is if you are in a complex where Cablevision supplies bulk service to the complex - and you would pay the landlord a reduced rate for usually Family Cable, and then you would receive a separate bill from Cablevision for any additional services you wanted beyond what the complex provided.

If it is an accessory apartment, the only legal way for you to get cable service, is to get your own account (despite the fact that accessory apartment landlords frequently include cable service, albeit illegally)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

I've been i a buk service complex. The cable company always sent a bill, it was not included.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by AVD:

I've been i a buk service complex. The cable company always sent a bill, it was not included.

I've had bulk service as well. My complex charged me $12/month for Family Cable. Anything else extra I wanted came on a CV bill. The CV bill noted "Bulk Cable $0.00" as well as whatever else I subscribed to.

It also depends on the level of bulk service your complex has negotiated with CV. If they are paying half and you are paying half - then yes, you'll get a bill from CV as well.
BangBang
join:2000-07-05
North Bergen, NJ

BangBang to laura h

to laura h
Tell em you either see the bill or you call Cablevision and discuss it with them. He won't want you doing that.
Expand your moderator at work

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to laura h

Premium Member

to laura h

Re: [help] Is my landlord is ripping me off? wont let me see cab

Sounds fishy to me and I am a property manager for a few condo complexes
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to laura h

to laura h
You will not get better deal on own

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno to RickNY

Anon

to RickNY
Rick thanks for those details. I was not aware of the laws regulating apartments. Sorry I mispoke to the OP regarding a great deal ! What RickNY said makes sense: How is this different than me running a splitter to my neighbor !?!?! I'd contact your landlord or your co-op board.

laura h
@myvzw.com

laura h to laura h

Anon

to laura h
Well, its actually my landlords sister and brother in law who live in the upper level of the house. It's their cable bill and when we moved in, the landlord said to work out the money situation with them upstairs for the cable. I have this suspicion this is an illegal two family. That is probably why they were against us getting our own cable... It only makes sense. Since I can't afford to dish out 3 months rent money all over again, its going to have to be like this for the meantime. I just feel $60. Is a lot for two boxes when It wasn't my idea to have the gold package. I'll pay 60 if that's what its worth. So if you guys are saying I'm getting a good deal, then I won't confront him. I'd rather not make it an uncomfortable situation with them if I don't have to.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

You are getting a good deal even though it is not the proper way to get cable service. Your DVR and the other box would be almost $30.00 so you are paying around $30.00 for the gold package. If you only wanted broadcast basic then you are paying too much. But if you wanted a more expensive package then you are getting a good deal. Like you said I would leave it alone for now and enjoy the gold package.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to laura h

to laura h
what if she doesn't want the Gold package? What if she's not a movie watcher? It's not fair that she has to pay for it if she doesn't want it.

Of course, she doesn't have to have cable anyway.

The place being illegal should be irrelevant for running a second cable line. They'll just want to know if it's a second apartment or something like that.

That's my understanding anyway.