Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller

Re: AMD Losing More Linux Developers

said by KodiacZiller:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kearnstd:

I hope AMD does not completely sink. If AMD sinks, we will see the prices of Intel chips rise and progress slow. At least in the desktop market.

Which is dead It's all about the tablets now...

I don't believe that for a minute. Not everyone wants to put all of their workload onto a tablet. A lot of people still need workstations. Tablets are for nothing but playing, not real work.

Oh, I know... of course, 99% of consumers don't know that. Which is what is killing the desktop market. Laptops will hang on, but desktops are going the way of minicomputers. There will always be a small niche market but the days of the "home PC" are over. Everyone will have tablets, and there might be some laptops "for real work" as you put it. But a big box tied to one place?

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

At least in the gaming community they will. 20"+ screens and multiple display setups are kind of hard on a laptop.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Black Box:

At least in the gaming community they will. 20"+ screens and multiple display setups are kind of hard on a laptop.

That's what docking stations are for. My work machine is a laptop that docks and gives me dual-head display on two 21" monitors.
I can easily see a future where I carry around a tablet that docks and gives me a full desktop experience.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
said by Black Box:

Running three screens here on my laptop @ work. Not very hard at all.