how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmr50

join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

Powering ONT without BBU?

My BBU is toast due to the storm. Any way to directly power the ONT? It takes 12V, which seems to be pretty standard for electronic devices. Is there an alternate power port, or can power be applied some other way? I'm just looking to patch things up for the 10 days it'll take to get a truck roll.

rapamatic

join:2001-12-15
Glencoe, IL
I'm in the same boat. Poking around inside the BBU, I see the 12V coming in from the power supply, but the plug going down to the ont is more complex - it has 6 or 8 connections (most likely to relay BBU status to the ONT). Perhaps it's possible to trace which wires carry 12V down to the ONT by opening up the Verizon side of the ONT and tracing the wires back up to the harness in in the BBU...
--
The more corrupt the State the more numerous the laws.

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
reply to jmr50
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, it looks like at least in my case the BBU takes in 48V and sends out 12V to the ONT, so it won't be as easy as splicing wires to the ONT cable. I've attached a pic of my overall unit, in case anyone else has a similar setup, and the labels on the connectors in the BBU.
--

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1
If your BBU is indeed fried, then you will need to bypass it.

That would mean feeding the ONT the 12V line directly.

I'm definitely not endorsing this action, but if you still want to try it, you could run a jumper wire from a 12V battery terminals to the corresponding wires that run from the BBU to the ONT.

I'm not sure if you need to do anything else to the other lines going to the ONT (eg. the ones that tell the ONT if the BBU is receiving power or not); you would need a pin-out guide to see all of this.

I don't see how you are going to bypass the fried BBU without literally physically bypassing it's electronics or whatever may be toast.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to rapamatic
Your photo shows one of the tamper-proof systems for BBU/ONT interconnection. You'll have a much harder time of modding for non-standard operation.

Does that cable simply unplug?

In my BBU, I found that disconnecting a signal line is not the same as it holding low. Disconnect is considered the same as alarm condition.

Signals are TTL signals. Low is like .5VDC, high is like 12VDC. Low is not the same as zero (disconnect).

I don't know how to bypass BBU entirely. I don't think it's as simple as providing 12VDC to the ONT.

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
The wide cable going down to the ONT does unplug, but it sounds like just dumping 12V down those two leads won't be enough... Hopefully on Monday I'll be able to request a tech come out to fix the BBU (because there was an outage in my area, phone tech support couldn't schedule a tech visit until the outage was fixed, and we were able to "confirm" the problem is with my ONT/BBU)... If it will be another week until a tech can come out, then I might be motivated to try to work around this!
--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI
reply to jmr50
said by jmr50:

My BBU is toast due to the storm.

Also @rapamatic

It's important to distinguish just what *is* toast. The battery or the BBU.

If you have AC power, you should be able to run with battery disconnected. If you do not have AC power, and the battery is toast, replace the battery.

If I were to replace the battery, I'd find one that is charged, fabricate a jumper from the battery wires in the BBU with clips to the replacement battery, then connect it up.

If the old battery gave its all to the ONT which shut down, and you connect a fresh battery, it won't start up automatically. You'll still need to restart the ONT by hitting Emergency Use button. That will run as long as the battery holds up.

Unless you can mod the signal wires, it will only run the phone service though.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to jmr50
For what it's worth, a friend of mine said he was able to get a tech to his residence TODAY by dealing with the social media team at Verizon. The telephone support group told him next Wednesday was the earliest they could get someone there.

Good luck!

jmr50

New York, NY
reply to birdfeedr
I restored power to the BBU. It runs for 2 seconds, then all lights go out. Beeping every few seconds from the BBU. Power reaches the ONT during those 2 seconds, but not the rest of the time.

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
said by jmr50:

I restored power to the BBU. It runs for 2 seconds, then all lights go out. Beeping every few seconds from the BBU. Power reaches the ONT during those 2 seconds, but not the rest of the time.

That is basically what mine is doing. I have AC power but the ONT won't power on, with or without the battery connected. The BBU isn't pasing 12VDC to the ONT, for some reason.
--

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
reply to bhan261
said by bhan261:

For what it's worth, a friend of mine said he was able to get a tech to his residence TODAY by dealing with the social media team at Verizon. The telephone support group told him next Wednesday was the earliest they could get someone there.

I'll try that. I assume he contacted them via twitter?
--

jmr50

New York, NY
reply to jmr50
I contacted them on Twitter. I'll see what they can do to help. My ONT is 2007-era, and I know there are more modern BBUs. It's possible the whole thing is toast, of course, too.

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
reply to jmr50
I contacted Verizon over twitter, they were able to schedule an appt for today. Much more helpful than phone support.
--

trinity bldr

@verizon.net
not sure if my bbu is toast. after power came on (post-storm repairs) system ran for 4-5 hrs, then dies. assumed service ouutage. finally checked box and bbu error message was "replace battery", which i did w/ one form radio shack (still can't figure out why dead backup battery would casue system to not work) anyway, system ran for about 5 hrs then died. error lights were replace battery (red) and system status (green). do i keep putting batteries in or can someone suggest something more permanent?

trinity bldr

@verizon.net
reply to rapamatic
also, why is there an aux power jack on the bbu and can powering this up with the correct adapter solve this problem....also, does anyone know what the cioreect 12v adapter IS????

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to jmr50
Have the same problem. My older BBU is bad and I know the power is good. The very small LED is green but none of the other lights work. Verizon is at my house now working on it (while I am at work.)

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
reply to jmr50
I'm in the same boat, I suspect a power surge during the storm might have taken out the AC transformer unit. I got mine working by connecting a 12 volt regulated power supply (the type used for powering a ham radio etc.) to the AUX power port using a plug I had in my junk drawer, but I'm only getting TV, no Internet or phone. I also tried a universal wall wart type adapter rated at 1000ma but it didn't produce enough power to keep it going.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI
reply to trinity bldr
said by trinity bldr :

also, why is there an aux power jack on the bbu and can powering this up with the correct adapter solve this problem....also, does anyone know what the cioreect 12v adapter IS????

The closest you'll find easily available is a RadioShack Enercell type H adapter. It fits loosely, but will work. I know it works when connected to an external battery. I do not know if it works on an AC adapter.

Connect to Auxiliary Power port. Within 7 seconds, you should see the Aux Power LED light. You may need to wiggle the adapter to make the connection.

At that point, if the System status LED is off, then press blue Emergency Use button to boot the ONT.

If Status LED is already lit, you have power to the ONT already. If the internal battery is powering the BBU and there is no AC power, then remove the internal battery, connect external battery, then press Emergency Use button.

If you pull the internal battery and the Status LED stays lit, then you have AC power. If your BBU/ONT is not working right at this point, then you have a hardware issue that needs a tech.

Carnivore

reply to rapamatic
Thanks for the twitter tip. They sent a tech out today who replaced my battery backup unit and that solved the problem. He mentioned that many customers' BBU failed from the storm and I got the last one on his truck. He said there are more on backorder.

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
said by Carnivore:

Thanks for the twitter tip. They sent a tech out today who replaced my battery backup unit and that solved the problem. He mentioned that many customers' BBU failed from the storm and I got the last one on his truck. He said there are more on backorder.

Yeah, I think that is my problem also - bad BBU. Unfortunately, the tech who came out today (while I was at work) just put in a new battery and pronounced the problem solved. I come home from work and everything is dead. Hopefully the tech who comes tomorrow will be able to replace the BBU.

Carnivore - where are you located? I hope they aren't out of BBUs in Manhattan!
--

Carnivore

I'm in North Jersey, not Manhattan. Good luck!

rapamatic

Glencoe, IL
reply to jmr50
They came back today, and this time replaced the ONT, and all is well. I wasn't home, but it doesn't look like they replaced the BBU...

Anyway, I'm satisfied since all is working now!
--

wbradney

join:2002-01-02
Morris Plains, NJ
reply to Carnivore
Exact same problem here. I got my power back today, and had TV and internet for about 3 hours before the battery ran dry. The BBU is just not powering the ONT.

Even though I explained that the ONT was OFF, tech support ran a "line check" and they said that there was a "fiber break" and they would send a tech on Monday (sigh).

I took out the battery, found a spare 12V 2A PSU, jury-rigged it to the terminals where the battery plugs in, and hit the battery backup button. Everything's back up and running - I assume the ONT will just see a magical "backup battery" with infinite juice...