Search similar:

uniqs
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone

Where would you start laying flooring?

Click for full size
I am the point where I can start laying flooring. At first I was going to do tile in the kitchen and wood elsewhere. But after some thought, the tile I have may be too rustic and rough for a kitchen. Now I am just going to do hardwood throughout the entire area. Where would you start to lay it out? My first thought was the new addition but then I might end up with a weird cut piece by the stairs. Then I thought I'd start at the stair landing but again might end up with weird cut pieces elsewhere. Any ideas?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

You have multiple areas. It is best to start between the rooms and work both ways.

I did my LR and dining room. Started on the font wall. when I got to the dining room, I ended up cutting long tapered pieces along the wall and also going slightly crooked through the doorway. Then again tapered pieces on first row.

Odd is it was near straight when i got to the final wall. So, divider wall must have been off.

It still would have been easier to start at the opening between the two rooms and run both ways.

IT also depends on the direction you want to run the floor. If vertical in the drawing, I'd probably start on the left wall. I'd also put a threshold piece between the LR and addition so you don't have to get two runs to meet. OR, lent first piece run long to the bottom wall as it passes the opening. Then run both directions from that piece.
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone

The threshold between the 2 rooms is a good idea, not sure how it would look. Need to figure out the stairs also. Right now its all carpet. Figure I'll need to put down wood on the steps also. So many choices.

shdesigns