how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

Does Cogeco block mac addresses?

Here's why I ask. My Linksys 320n router stopped communicating with the Cogeco modem yesterday. I called them and they said the modem was working as it should. I then tried another router (Technet) and it worked. But here's the thing, I then connected the Technet, which is now running to the modem, into the WAN port of my Linksys, and the Linksys works. I now have everything running wirelessly off the Linksys. So, if the WAN port on the Linksys was dead, it can't be working now!?

The only exception is my desktop computer which for some reason cannot connect to the internet. But when I run Spotflux, I can then connect through their server.

So I'm basically asking the above, can they be blocking my Linksys Mac address preventing my connection to the modem and ISP?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Have you tried changing the WAN mac of the Linksys router?

Keep in mind, the modem will only allow you to bind two (or is it three?) mac addresses before it won't allow any more. When that happens, you need to reboot the modem before you connect a different device.

hagbard72

Kingsville

Yep, done all that.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

If that's the case, I'd say it probably isn't a problem on Cogeco's end.

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Just replaced the wireless adapter on my desktop and now I have internet access. Sure sounds like something is blocking the mac address of both my desktop and Linksys router to me. Why else would the Linksys router still work when connected to another device but not the Cogeco modem?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Gone

In the case of videotron, just rebooting doesn't work (battery keeps the info in volatile memory). You have to hit the reset pin when you change to a new MAC. Rogers is the same. So I would assume it's like this for Cogeco as well. No? So, hit the reset pin on the Cogeco modem.

hagbard72

Kingsville

Yep, that's how I've been resetting it. I stick a pin in the back and hold it for about 15 seconds and all the lights go out.

hm

@videotron.ca

So even after hitting the reset pin it blocks the MAC?

I have seen this before on Videotron. Basically when I make up a MAC number (I don't use the real MAC since it's none of their business). Nor do I know if the MAC is reg this on their end someway/somehow (but likely is since IP is linked to MAC number of your device). So I always assumed the spoofed MAC already exists on the network, or maybe they compare this someway to like a master list and my made up MAC just doesn't pass the test (since the MAC does ID the company, make, and whatever else of the router). Or maybe someone is already spoofing the MAC number you are trying to use?

I don't really know in these cases. But I'd like to know if a Cogeco employee wants to take the time to explain this part.

So if it's a spoofed MAC, try a different MAC. If it's not a spoofed MAC, then Spoof it and that should fix the issue.

hagbard72

Kingsville

Yep, I've tried different mac addresses, didn't work. Even tried cloning the Trendnet (sorry, not Technet) mac and didn't work.

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON
reply to hagbard72

PM me your mac address and one of your IP addresses and I'll take a look tomorrow.

hagbard72

Kingsville

Sent by PM. Thanks!

hm

@videotron.ca

Any update on this? Find the issue?

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Nevertheless looked into it, reset my modem from their end now everything works.

hm

@videotron.ca

So you hitting the reset pin does nothing, yet them doing a remote modem reset does?

What does a remote modem reset do different than the reset pin? Or was there more that was done?

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON

said by hm :

What does a remote modem reset do different than the reset pin? Or was there more that was done?

I didn't see any issues with the modem or devices behind it, but I deleted the entry for the Linksys device in the CMTS anyway. I did not reset the modem.

Seeing as the MAC address of the Linksys device has decremented by one (from blah:2c to blah:2b) since then, and it's working just fine as 2b, I would suspect that the Linksys device and the CMTS was not allowing the 2c device to talk. Our CMTSes are configured to only allow devices that have had a DHCP Discover come through or it. (Our static product is somewhat different, for those wondering).

The 2c device did not make a DHCP transaction on Nov 5th or Nov 6th.

In short, I think the problem was self-caused by either a firmware upgrade or changing the MAC address without issuing a new DHCP Discover (release/renew).
--
Some people think I'm an idiot. I disagree, but idiocy is subjective--so they may well be right. With this in mind, take everything I post with a grain of salt, eh?

hagbard72

Kingsville

Not on my end. It disconnected my router spontaneously. Changing firmware only came at the end of the troubleshooting process. Did lots of release/renew long before this. I knew nothing was wrong with the router since I was still able to connect through the Trendnet to the modem without issue (ie: the WAN port was alive and well). I think you kickstarted it at your end.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to nevertheless

I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Its happing again. Back on the Trendnet router since the Linksys is again not communicating with the modem/isp.