Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to hagbard72

Premium Member

to hagbard72

Re: Does Cogeco block mac addresses?

Have you tried changing the WAN mac of the Linksys router?

Keep in mind, the modem will only allow you to bind two (or is it three?) mac addresses before it won't allow any more. When that happens, you need to reboot the modem before you connect a different device.

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72

Yep, done all that.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If that's the case, I'd say it probably isn't a problem on Cogeco's end.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

In the case of videotron, just rebooting doesn't work (battery keeps the info in volatile memory). You have to hit the reset pin when you change to a new MAC. Rogers is the same. So I would assume it's like this for Cogeco as well. No? So, hit the reset pin on the Cogeco modem.

hagbard72
Kingsville

hagbard72

Yep, that's how I've been resetting it. I stick a pin in the back and hold it for about 15 seconds and all the lights go out.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

So even after hitting the reset pin it blocks the MAC?

I have seen this before on Videotron. Basically when I make up a MAC number (I don't use the real MAC since it's none of their business). Nor do I know if the MAC is reg this on their end someway/somehow (but likely is since IP is linked to MAC number of your device). So I always assumed the spoofed MAC already exists on the network, or maybe they compare this someway to like a master list and my made up MAC just doesn't pass the test (since the MAC does ID the company, make, and whatever else of the router). Or maybe someone is already spoofing the MAC number you are trying to use?

I don't really know in these cases. But I'd like to know if a Cogeco employee wants to take the time to explain this part.

So if it's a spoofed MAC, try a different MAC. If it's not a spoofed MAC, then Spoof it and that should fix the issue.

hagbard72
Kingsville

hagbard72

Yep, I've tried different mac addresses, didn't work. Even tried cloning the Trendnet (sorry, not Technet) mac and didn't work.