uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[FireFox] How do I best backup my bookmarks and everything else?

I used to use FEBE to backup my Firefox settings, especially the bookmarks.

If firefox now does this itself, how do I do a backup, and how do I do a restore, and is there a way to store all this online?

Xmarks no longer does it.
pensioner
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
Gulfport, MS

pensioner

Premium Member

Re: [FireFox] How do I best backup my bookmarks and everything e

a thread last week or so suggested MozBackup, »mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Febe is without a doubt the best backup there is..........do a full profile backup,and you'll end up with a *.fbu file ,that you can keep anywhere.

To do a restore all you need do is use Febe to create a new profile from which to restore a backup file..........as you can't restore to a profile in use.

This way all settings,bookmarks ,etc are restored.

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to pensioner

to pensioner
said by pensioner:

a thread last week or so suggested MozBackup, »mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

+1

You can't better perfection.

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

4 edits

porkpie to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
For saving Bookmarks: Click on Bookmarks> click on show all bookmarks> on left side make a folder "in" Bookmark Menu and put all your bookmarks in it.

>Click on the folder that you made for all your bookmarks> At top of screen click on Import and backup> click on export, Send that folder to your flash drive or hard drive , it will save as a "Bookmark html" file .

Also you can click on the folder you that you made for all your bookmarks then> click on import and backup and > click on Backup and send that file to "same as above" it will save as a "json" file.

> To restore it > First> click on Bookmark menu then > click on Restore and go to where you saved the "json" file then> click on save.

For the export way of saving your Bookmarks > first click on "bookmark menu" on left side then> click on Imports and backup then> Import, then go to where you saved your "Bookmark html" file Then> click on save.

ps: I forgot that you can just Backup or Export the Bookmark Menu , then every thing under it will be saved, and you won't have to make a folder for your Bookmarks

Hope that this helps

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I get lost on "sending" the folder, there is no option to send the folder under backup. I can't make sense of your explanation, I'm either confused and don't doing something correctly, or it has changed.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I use both FEBE and CLEO.

Do a full backup with FEBE, then use CLEO to package all my extensions into ONE .xpi package so all I have to do is drag that one into a new Firefox session & every extension gets installed.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I used to use FEBE, but not CLEO. Way back when I did, Firefox updated one time and rendered backing it up non workable and I was unable to restore the backup to the new version. I had to delete my instance of firefox, hunt down a previous version, and reload from FEBE. I no longer trust FEBE, and now I no longer trust Xmarks because I can't even do a restore with Xmarks, and nothing works with it, I click and nothing happens.

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

porkpie to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I mean save the folder, to where every you want to save it. it will save as a "bookmark.html" file if you export it, or a "json" file if you backup the folder that you made with all your Bookmarks

ps: I forgot that you can just Backup or Export the Bookmark Menu , then every thing under it will be saved, and you won't have to make a folder for your Bookmarks

Hope that this helps

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I've used Febe since it came out and install it on all my customer's machines..........they love it .

I've personally restored numerous profiles and have never had any problems.

You may want to learn how to configure it properly to work for you.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to porkpie

Premium Member

to porkpie
Yeah, thanks for all the help, that's what I did. But why was I creating a new folder in my bookmarks list?

Also, I reinstalled FEBE guys, but I'm not going to solely trust it any longer.
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
No, there was a known problem when Firefox was updated in one of its versions, and the FEBE creator had to post detailed recovery steps on his site, which for some reason did not work for me. I apologize that I cannot offer specifics as my memory of the issue is poor.

Also, it doesn't store them online either, so when I learned of Xmarks I started using that. But then for some reason I couldn't restore off of Xmarks!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Why store them online when you can carry a backup file around on any media.........a flash drive?

You can also just copy the entire profile folder to any new version of FF and that usually works.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

The answers to that are obvious. Theft, fire, sudden moves/loss of possessions, being away from one computer and wanting to add to another computer without going home. Seriously. And thumb drives fail all the time!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I have 6 of them. lol

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

6 backups. Wow, that is a lot of hassle when you could just cloud them or something. Who has time for that?

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
Cleveland, OH

porkpie to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I have a folder called My Favorites, that I put on Internet Explorer and Firefox, that is broken into folders that has about 1,900 internet addresses .

I also put it on a flash drive, so I can use it on any computer I might be on

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

I have a fire proof safe costing $600, very heavy, in which I keep my Fire Fox back ups.
I am told it will survive earthquakes, fire, superstorms and theft. Not sure about a nuclear attack.