Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to NetFixer

Re: 6 modems listed, how do I fix this?

Click for full size
said by NetFixer:

I suspect that Comcast doesn't care because if you move or terminate service, they will just bill you for the bogus equipment that wasn't returned (and if you have auto-pay enabled for your account, they don't even have to bill you).

While that is probably the reason, I don't feel it is right for Comcast to do it that way.

You cannot tell me that every single person at Comcast who had anything at all to do with the design, coding, testing, and roll-out of this feature did not sit down and verify if the information posted matched actual equipment being used. And, if it did not, why did someone not say anything? As I said, I know they use a bar code scanner for this task. If the person testing the bar code scanner software scans in a cable modem with a specific MAC and Serial Number, and the program says its a Set Top Box, or it shows a Cable Modem with a different Serial Number and or MAC Address, I would think that would raise some red flags in the testing process.

Those of us on this forum cannot be the only ones who look at that and think "Hey..My serial #'s don't match, and I don't have 3 modems and 6 cable boxes as it shows here".

To me, not only does that show bad customer service, but bad software development and testing. If you are going to implement a feature, make sure it works the way it is suppose to, and displays correct and accurate information. Otherwise, get it fixed before you implement it.

As a side note, it has now been 5 days since I made a post to the Comcast direct forum. The thread has 2 views, but no replies (See Picture).

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by plencnerb:

Those of us on this forum cannot be the only ones who look at that and think "Hey..My serial #'s don't match, and I don't have 3 modems and 6 cable boxes as it shows here".

To me, not only does that show bad customer service, but bad software development and testing. If you are going to implement a feature, make sure it works the way it is suppose to, and displays correct and accurate information. Otherwise, get it fixed before you implement it.

Well, at least Comcast is now allowing customers to see what equipment Comcast's inventory system thinks you are using. Perhaps that in itself is at least a step in the right direction toward correcting the historic problem of Comcast assuming ownership of customer owned equipment and/or charging the Customer for equipment that was returned (or perhaps was never installed in the first place).

All of those things have happened in the past, but now the customer at least has a way to start correcting a potential problem (even if doing so is a frustrating experience).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I agree with you there. Giving the customer a way to fix the issue is a great start.

Of course, it does not answer the question why things were messed up in the first place. Goes back to the development and implementation of the process on Comcast's end.

--Brian

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

1 edit
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Well, at least Comcast is now allowing customers to see what equipment Comcast's inventory system thinks you are using.

It seems fairly obvious that Comcast is using more than one set of books to inventory customer equipment. When you call them with either a modem or TV problem they can specify your device and perform remote activities on it quickly and accurately.

On the few occasions that I have needed help there was never any question about the ID of whatever I was calling about.

My guess is this whole thing is a work in progress and that someday they'll get it all straightened out.