uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

[iPhone] App Store and older versions of apps

Help me out in case I'm doing something wrong, but why is the app store stupid in that it seemingly only holds current versions of apps ?

My kids both have 2G/3G iPod touch, running iOS 4.2.1. Apps that they used to have installed no report that GL (video hardware, I presume) is req'd or that the app simply requires iOS 4.3 or higher. I don't care, nor do they, and from searches on the internet, nor do others in my situation, if we have the latest, and not always greatest, version of an app.

Simply, why doesn't the app store read the hardware and software info of the device and then display ONLY THOSE APPS that are compatible ? It's hardly a new concept... In the end, I can think of only one reason why Apple does it this way.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Is it an Apple issue or an app level issue? I've had updates show up that were not for my iOS device and then eventually they disappeared from my update list...

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

It's both, I realize, but there's simply no alternative for people with older hardware. I'm okay that the latest version of app "x" requires features only available in iOS 5 or iOS 6. Offer me (us) an older, compatible version of the app though. Then, of course, comes the "issue" of support, security issues, etc, etc (i.e. excuses).

It CAN be done. I don't want anyone to turn this into an Apple vs Android issue because I mention this, but the Google app store deals with this. It detects your hardware and software and only DISPLAYS apps that are compatible.

Here, I'll say it: Apple does this, IMO, to try and force people to buy new hardware...

Will jailbreaking allow me to install these older apps ?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Hall

MVM,

to Hall
If you sync your iPod touch with your computer, you should have all the older app IPA files stored there. You can reinstall the apps from there.

If you jailbreak, you can install older versions of apps you may find online, but you cannot install newer versions (in general).