join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to battle

Re: [CenturyTel] DSL WAN Physical Link Down

DSL is an "adaptive" technology. Unless a provider hard codes profile speed based on distance (AT&T is the only provider I know which does that), modem and DSLAM will take a few days to "find" a stable sync rate.

With my provider having no speed tiers, modem and DSLAM are free to run at the highest rate consistent with the conditions on the loop. At first setup, my modem would sync at 18,667, or so. But with the SNR hovering at 5.3dB to 5.9dB, that was overly optimistic. Current sync is 17,853 with SNR 6.3dB. That seems to be the stable rate; but it took a couple of weeks to get there.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

battle

join:2010-03-23
united state
Thank you, that's a simple explanation I wish CL would have provided me with.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by battle:

Thank you, that's a simple explanation I wish CL would have provided me with.

Most techs aren't used to talking to non-tech folks. They will just toss jargon out as if the meanings of the words are self-evident.

I've had SBC techs who thought I was one of their kind because I knew the jargon. I was not, but I did work for HP as a board repair tech. I also hung out in the SBC forums where I could leverage my tech knowledge to pick up on phone/DSL "techspeak". Plus research into DSL.

At HP I had been tasked with writing test and update procedures, where I had to explain tech to non-tech employees. That is an art which most techs seem to lack.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum