spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to eeeaddict

Re: Fiber network for your neighbourhood?

I don't know the rules in Canada but I imagine that you can't just call up the local power company and rent pole space. There is probably something similar to being a CLEC in the US that you would have to go thorugh.

Also $1k/mo for 1Gb transit is not very realistic unless your just happen to have a datacenter in your neighborhood. You also need to account for other things like IP space from ARIN, redundant links, etc.

In short the $1/mb stories you read are extreamly misleading.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

I wasn't actually asuming those were real numbers just the bare minimum if you don't care about redundancy and I know they were extremely low, also good point about the renting space I was wondering what were the rules but since I couldn't find any I didn't put anything in

battleop

join:2005-09-28

If it was really that easy and cheap everyone would be doing it. The whole scope of offering internet service is much more expensive than the front page of this website will lead you to believe.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

I don't know the rules in Canada but I imagine that you can't just call up the local power company and rent pole space. There is probably something similar to being a CLEC in the US that you would have to go thorugh.

You can rent pole space without being a CLEC, but in order to offer services to the public, you must be a Canadian Carrier as defined by the CRTC.

Private companies obtain ROW and pole attachment agreements from time to time to link nearby properties they own, but they're only allowed to do so under the condition that they not offer services to the public.

Additionally, the municipality or power utility is not required to give consent, but they are not prohibited from doing so.

In the case of a registered carrier, the municipality is required to give consent, and prohibited from not giving consent unless they can give a specific valid reason as to why consent should not be provided. The CRTC is the final arbiter in case of disagreement.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net