A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

North American Home Networks Full of Malware

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/02···_survey/ from »www.hardocp.com/news/2012/11/04/···malware/

"In a recent study, Kindsight Security Labs reported that 13% of home networks in North America are infected with some sort of malware. While this figure may sound disturbing, it’s actually an improvement over the previous quarters figures..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 edits
No offense to antdude See Profile, and I meant to post this a few days ago in another thread, but you can infect a "network". A network consists of nothing more than communication paths between devices (computers etc). One can scan traffic between devices for malware but a LAN/WAN/network as such cannot be infected. (Yes network devices such as routers can but that is not the network per se)

. o O (Maybe CAT5 cables are actually hollow and viruses hide in there)

But to the subject of the post I'm hardly surprised. In fact 13% sounds rather low to me.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
kudos:1
reply to antdude
Infected networks refers to houses that have multiple pc's on a single connection, or are "networked" together. This is not refering to actual pc hardware components being infected.

this should be implied.....imo

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Well thank you for enlightening me.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW
Hmm, having worked in 'networking' for well over 30 years, I am of the opinion that 'the network' includes the computers that make it up. A pile of CAT5 (see, told you I was old, else I'd have typed CAT6) does not a network make.

L'internet, c'est moi.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
That's ok. I've been building, designing and programming computer stuff for 38 years. But I lost my memory this morning and have reverted to age 8. Sorry about that. A good nights sleep should set me right.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
OK, you win. You've got 3 years seniority on me.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
That's ok, we'll call it equal

Gotta go scan my LAN for viruses now.
--

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
reply to antdude
1 in 7, 13% is hardly "North American Home Networks Full of Malware". Hardocp is playing the fear card.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by chrisretusn:

Hardocp is playing the fear card.

Yeah. I call those "We're all gonna die! Eventually." articles.
--

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

"In a recent study, Kindsight Security Labs reported that 13% of home networks in North America are infected with some sort of malware. While this figure may sound disturbing, it’s actually an improvement over the previous quarters figures..."

So, what kind of network AV software are they selling?