Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NullMaster

join:2000-08-24
Minneapolis, MN

New AV Program - Opinion on Options

Hello All,

My Vipre subscription is expired and I'm looking at a couple other options. Looking for opinions. I've done some research in this forum and other sites and see the usual suspects. Mainly looking at a AntiMalware / AntiSpyware type vs. something with a firewall built in. Currently running Win 7 and XP machines.

I downloaded the trial of Webroot Secure Anywhere.

I also plan to look at Bit Defender, Eset and maybe F-secure. I realize this is a personal opinion

Webroot - read a thread on here with some debates on if it works well, cloud based features etc.

PCmag picked it as their top choice in 2012 in the review I read.
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

BitDefender also scores well although I've also seen posts about people having issues.

Eset NOD32 - I've used this in the past but have also read their HID missed a lot of infections.

F-Secure - Not very familiar with this product.
Av-comparatives.org gave F-secure good marks in their 2011 summary for anti-malware detection.

Kaspersky - Have evaluated this in the past. Seem like a good product but maybe a bit resource hungry.

Vipre worked OK, but overall not totally impressed. I ran it in one of the networks I managed a few years back and we had issues with root kit detection. Also since GFI took over it's a bit naggy.

Any one care to offer any Opinion on what they think is the best?

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for the last six months and found it does not use as much resources as previous versions. Currently using the Windows Resources tool it is using less than 3500K. I have been very happy with it and plan on renewing when the time comes.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to NullMaster

Happy with Agnitum Outpost Security Suite for at least 5 years. They don't pay for reviews.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to NullMaster

»2011 Anti Virus PollWhy ESET

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN

I've always liked Eset NOD32. I was a little concerned when I read the info from PCMAG - however I don't hold PCMAG as the definitive source.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392633,00.asp

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN
reply to Ken1943

Haven't heard of Agnitum. Price is nice for the 3 and 5 pack. I'll have to look at it more closely.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to Ken1943

said by Ken1943:

Happy with Agnitum Outpost Security Suite for at least 5 years. They don't pay for reviews.

Right On!! or avast!!

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to NullMaster

After years of using MalwareBytes free to clean the infections that ALL other main stream anti-virus companies were allowing to get in, I finally purchased a subscription for the live version to test on one particularly troubled user. It was the best thing I ever did, and I plan to purchase plenty more going forward.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NullMaster

said by NullMaster:

Webroot - read a thread on here with some debates on if it works well, cloud based features etc.

I can't help you with a recommendation of which app is going to be best for you but I can recommend that you disregard the Webroot thread(s) you're probably referring to.
Those threads are about a confused person's hatchet job on webroot that was big on assumptions, guesses & flat out BS but lacking anything of fact.
I haven't any horse running in this race, ESET, Webroot, etc... they should all work as advertised, my point is don't be influenced by a BS thread.
Expand your moderator at work

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Ken1943

Re: New AV Program - Opinion on Options

said by Ken1943:

Happy with Agnitum Outpost Security Suite for at least 5 years.

Another happy Outpost Security Suite user here.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

CloudAVPro

@wideopenwest.com

I recommend Webroot SecureAnywhere. However, I do not 'fully' trust that program yet, but really love the systems behind it. In another year or two WR should be quite a bit better - it needs a few improvements. In my view the BEST method is to stack 2 extremely light yet full compatible cloud products.

PandaCloudFree+Webroot - Panda has a robust inbound firewall, Webroot does not but WR has a robust outbound one. They compliment each other perfectly. Webroot has poor sigs, and is heuristics/sandbox/cloud based. Panda has robust sigs, and a good HIPS while WR has mediocre HIPS.

Alternatively, a lot of people are using KingSoftCloudFree+Panda or KingSoftCloudFree+Webroot. Those options are fine as well.

I don't feel any single product is a wise decision because redundancy and layers are much more protective. I have run WR+PandaCloudFree for quite some time without any issues at all, and it is very very speedy.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

2 edits

If your really paranoid about security (and u should be), then I would spend on an AV program. This is just me....That I DO NOT trust these FREE AV programs or any FREE security software for that matter. To protect your data, then I would purchase a license for one.

I just DO NOT TRUST the FREE versions of ANY AV out there.

Like Mele20 has stated, go for F-Secure.

But for one thing, that its you (the user) is the first line of defense and always PATCH PATCH PATCH and PATCH the OS and software too. Patching is much more important than running an AV program.

CloudAVPro

@wideopenwest.com

1 edit

Actually you can buy licenses to PandaCloud to activate the HIPS and Firewall on Ebay for $3.00 all day long.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to NullMaster

That PC Mag article would not convince me to buy anything.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Ken1943

Happy ESET user here

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to NullMaster

Happy Webroot SecureAnywhere user here!

Webroot Captures #2 Spot in U.S. Retail Security Software Market.

Recent NPD data shows security leader close on heels of leading competitor after gaining 17 points of share in one year.

Broomfield, Colo., November 5, 2012

We are thrilled to take the second place position, but we are far from complacent," says David Bennett, vice president of Worldwide Consumer Sales at Webroot. "Our teams are even more driven to make Webroot the number one choice in online security for customers in the U.S. and worldwide. In the end, the consumer decides who is first, and our customer satisfaction is outstanding.

Full Article: »www.webroot.com/En_US/pr/awards/···512.html

TH
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Triple Helix

Oh come on....some MARKETING site claims this? And Webroot can't even give a clear link to the claim on that site? I looked all over that disgusting site and couldn't find anything about Webroot being number #2 now. That disgusting site is about BUSINESS USERS not home users anyway.

When Webroot wins Advanced + and number 1 spot in AV Comparatives tests and AV-Test then I will change my opinion but not until Webroot can take number one or two spot on tests conducted by well respected independent testers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to NullMaster

Changed over from Norton to Webroot recently. Very well written antivirus if you ask me, it's really an "install it and forget that it's running" antivirus. Which is exactly what I want. Hardly a dent in the performance of the machine.

To Mele20 See Profile, I know how to operate my computer safely. I know how to use my computer in a safe manner. As you say, don't use Internet Explorer... check. I use Palemoon 64-bit, a Firefox clone.

But there are times that I really just don't want to worry about the security of my PC. I want to use my computer to watch a movie, DVD, or NetFlix, listen to music, get work done, browse the web, replying to email, Facebook (I have a VERY locked down Facebook profile), and IMing. Those are the times that I want my computer to just plain work without having my security programs getting in the way. Webroot is like that, it does what it needs to do and doesn't get in the way of what I'm doing.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to hayc59

said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN

1 edit
reply to NullMaster

After looking at the real world protection and file detection tests at »www.av-comparatives.org I'm less likely to end up choosing Webroot. The file detection tests listed there for webroot were poor. Something just doesn't give me warm fuzzies about this product. As CloudAVPro put it I do not fully trust it quite yet.

I think I'm going to run a trial of F-Secure next and probably Eset and Kaspersky. As mentioned by a few folks here they all should work reasonably well. Trend Micro also has a strong showing in the reports but I just cannot bring myself to like that product. We run it at my current employer and I've trialed it before at other shops and just don't like it.

Here was the overall 2011 report if anyone's interested.
»www.av-comparatives.org/images/d···2_en.pdf

Thanks again for everyone's input.

claudiubotez

join:2009-06-28

1 edit
reply to Triple Helix

While the "NPD data' are nowhere to be seen, you may take a look at this:

Worldwide Antivirus Vendor Market Share (OPSWAT): September 2012

»www.opswat.com/about/media/repor···ber-2012

WSA is not even included here.

Claudiu

Win7

join:2012-10-13
L5x3t4

Hi TripleHelix,

I looked at the link provided by you and I couldn’t find any data. On the other hand the link provided above shows that Webroot is practically unknown in North America.

The discrepancy is disturbing; any comments?

Win7

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Have a look a these answers:

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···tcount=4

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=10

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=25

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=26

TH
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
kudos:1
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....

So you can't un click "install chrome" during installation? If people would just watch what they are clicking during installs this wouldn't happen. It's not a drive by install by any means. I just put a new version of Avast on a laptop and simply told it not to install chrome.

wow, thats the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
--
What else would you do?
--
There is hope!