Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Triple Helix

Re: New AV Program - Opinion on Options

Oh come on....some MARKETING site claims this? And Webroot can't even give a clear link to the claim on that site? I looked all over that disgusting site and couldn't find anything about Webroot being number #2 now. That disgusting site is about BUSINESS USERS not home users anyway.

When Webroot wins Advanced + and number 1 spot in AV Comparatives tests and AV-Test then I will change my opinion but not until Webroot can take number one or two spot on tests conducted by well respected independent testers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to NullMaster
Changed over from Norton to Webroot recently. Very well written antivirus if you ask me, it's really an "install it and forget that it's running" antivirus. Which is exactly what I want. Hardly a dent in the performance of the machine.

To Mele20 See Profile, I know how to operate my computer safely. I know how to use my computer in a safe manner. As you say, don't use Internet Explorer... check. I use Palemoon 64-bit, a Firefox clone.

But there are times that I really just don't want to worry about the security of my PC. I want to use my computer to watch a movie, DVD, or NetFlix, listen to music, get work done, browse the web, replying to email, Facebook (I have a VERY locked down Facebook profile), and IMing. Those are the times that I want my computer to just plain work without having my security programs getting in the way. Webroot is like that, it does what it needs to do and doesn't get in the way of what I'm doing.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to hayc59
said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

NullMaster

join:2000-08-24
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit
reply to NullMaster
After looking at the real world protection and file detection tests at »www.av-comparatives.org I'm less likely to end up choosing Webroot. The file detection tests listed there for webroot were poor. Something just doesn't give me warm fuzzies about this product. As CloudAVPro put it I do not fully trust it quite yet.

I think I'm going to run a trial of F-Secure next and probably Eset and Kaspersky. As mentioned by a few folks here they all should work reasonably well. Trend Micro also has a strong showing in the reports but I just cannot bring myself to like that product. We run it at my current employer and I've trialed it before at other shops and just don't like it.

Here was the overall 2011 report if anyone's interested.
»www.av-comparatives.org/images/d···2_en.pdf

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Expand your moderator at work

claudiubotez

join:2009-06-28

1 edit
reply to Triple Helix

While the "NPD data' are nowhere to be seen, you may take a look at this:

Worldwide Antivirus Vendor Market Share (OPSWAT): September 2012

»www.opswat.com/about/media/repor···ber-2012

WSA is not even included here.

Claudiu

Win7

join:2012-10-13
L5x3t4

Hi TripleHelix,

I looked at the link provided by you and I couldn’t find any data. On the other hand the link provided above shows that Webroot is practically unknown in North America.

The discrepancy is disturbing; any comments?

Win7

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Have a look a these answers:

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···tcount=4

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=10

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=25

»www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost···count=26

TH
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
kudos:1
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

said by hayc59:

Right On!! or avast!!

I used Avast! for years, but I really can't recommend it any more. The absolute disaster that was their last version soured me on them. System instability, and a drive-by installation of Chrome. It would give you seconds to decide "no" to installing Chrome. If you weren't at your PC or paying attention, you got it.

Worse, the installation of Chrome would, in many cases, destroy your existing installation of Chrome, if you had it.

Point being, if the company making your A/V software has a product, that itself could be described as Malware itself, it doesn't build a lot of trust....

So you can't un click "install chrome" during installation? If people would just watch what they are clicking during installs this wouldn't happen. It's not a drive by install by any means. I just put a new version of Avast on a laptop and simply told it not to install chrome.

wow, thats the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
--
What else would you do?
--
There is hope!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to CloudAVPro
How did you run Avast? You don't need any of the ton of junk modules that Avast includes. Just run Real Time, Network and on On Demand scanners. That is all you need with ANY AV. Avast is not slow/doesn't slow your computer if you run it properly.

All the crap being desperately added to AV these days indicates two things: ignorant of computers users are impressed by all the crap and judge an AV on how much crap it includes and, secondly, the ton of crap being added indicates the desperateness of the vendors.

My old Avira 8 free version (no ads) provides excellent protection. It is very light and has no added junk and I have most of the extended crap off. It doesn't have the horrible garbage web filter that cripples a machine, or any other fancy-dancy garbage.

I'm using Windows Defender at first with my new machine when it arrives soon. I'll have to turn off the stupidity of having it police the Hosts file, otherwise, I can't use HostsMan or add to the Hosts file but other than that it should be sufficient while I learn Win 8. I will look at other AV later but I won't tolerate any that will not allow me to to break them down to bare bones AV which is all anyone NEEDS...as opposed to what the AV vendors want you to BELIEVE you need so they can survive.

As for cloud crap...that is what it is CRAP. I won't use an AV that is so lazy as to depend on the cloud and crappy user imput.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Mele20:

and crappy user imput.

No arguments from me.

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to poppster
said by poppster:

So you can't un click "install chrome" during installation? If people would just watch what they are clicking during installs this wouldn't happen.

wow, thats the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

If people would read anything more carefully, not an issue, I guess. For example, if you had read my post carefully, you would have noted that Avast! didn't wait for you to confirm. If you, say, went to grab a coffee while your system was re-booted, then you got Chrome. In many cases, destroying your existing installation of it.

If you're ok with software companies doing that type of thing, great. I'm not. And for now, coupled with a buggy program version, Avast! has no place on any of my systems. If you're happy with it, super.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

poppster
Premium
Midwest
if you are installing a program why would you intentionally leave during the process? Still operator error.

Ian
Premium
ON
said by poppster:

if you are installing a program why would you intentionally leave during the process? Still operator error.

Not everyone likes to stare at a screen for no useful purpose while their computer boots?

Avast! Drive-by installed with a (momentary) process to opt out a (potentially) damaging program, by default. Again, if you're happy with that sort of behaviour from the software companies that you choose to trust with important tasks, to each their own. I'm not.
--

poppster
Premium
Midwest
reply to NullMaster
all i am saying is if you are intending on installing a program you should be there to see what it does. Gone are the day of 100mhz pc's with 16kb of ram...so time shouldn't be a real issue, but if you don't have the time to watch an install, then you probably shouldn't be installing it anyways.

Thats my opinion.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to NullMaster

I don't know why nobody has mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and made by Microsoft (that could be a good or bad thing).

My argument with MSE was always as follows... Microsoft wrote your OS. They know more about it than anyone else. Hell, they even have the source code... to the whole thing. They can change whatever elements of the OS they'd like at any given time (via Windows Update). They can (potentially) write the best scanning engine, by leveraging their "we make the OS" advantage.

They also probably have more money and programmers than every single AV company mentioned in this thread COMBINED.
--
QUAD!!!!

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to poppster
said by poppster:

...so time shouldn't be a real issue, but if you don't have the time to watch an install, then you probably shouldn't be installing it anyways.

I don't accept that it's a question of "having the time". I would assume, at a minimum, that "opting into" a new program, other than the one, that you are, in fact, choosing to install, should be voluntary.

A splash screen with an "un-check in the next 11 seconds" box doesn't fit that bill to me. As I said, you could be grabbing a coffee, answering the door, phone, etc. Many people have multiple PCs. I can be working away or playing a game on one, while maintaining the other. If the splash screen stayed up until you intervened, whether that be 12 seconds or 12 hours? OK. Annoying, but ok.

Also, it was clear that an insufficient amount of pre-release testing went on prior to that version. Problems were legion. As well as insufficient testing of the Chrome install process. Destroying existing installations would seem to me, to be something that should be tested for. What else wasn't tested about this?, would seem an obvious question.

For the above reasons, I have trouble trusting the makers of Avast! at the moment. I understand that not everyone shares the opinion. But the OP was asking for opinions. I also understand "why" they might do what they did. They provide a free version, and bills have to get paid one way or another.

For the record, I run MSE after ditching Avast! May not be the best, but doesn't seem to bog down my systems much, and I am a fairly low risk browser/downloader. I run an A/V mainly for some peace of mind. Haven't had an actual infection in years (admittedly that I know of...).
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Elite

said by Elite:

I don't know why nobody has mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and made by Microsoft (that could be a good or bad thing).

My argument with MSE was always as follows... Microsoft wrote your OS. They know more about it than anyone else. Hell, they even have the source code... to the whole thing. They can change whatever elements of the OS they'd like at any given time (via Windows Update). They can (potentially) write the best scanning engine, by leveraging their "we make the OS" advantage.

They also probably have more money and programmers than every single AV company mentioned in this thread COMBINED.

I mentioned it. Did you miss my post where I said I will be using Windows Defender (at least for awhile) on my new machine? That is the name for MSE on Windows 8.
--

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Mele20:

I mentioned it. Did you miss my post where I said I will be using Windows Defender (at least for awhile) on my new machine? That is the name for MSE on Windows 8.

How foolish of me. Anyhow, the OP is using 7, which is still MSE territory. I too, am using "Defender" on Win 8.
--
QUAD!!!!

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to poppster
And she was totally asking for it by dressing the way she did, too.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to poppster
said by poppster:

all i am saying is if you are intending on installing a program you should be there to see what it does. Gone are the day of 100mhz pc's with 16kb of ram...so time shouldn't be a real issue, but if you don't have the time to watch an install, then you probably shouldn't be installing it anyways.

Thats my opinion.

With Avast, you COULD BE watching the install, blink, sneeze, blow your nose and lo and behold Chrome is installed. Avast, sadly to say, has become extremely aggressive in recent versions about trying to force Chrome on users. They weren't always this way and it is sad what is happening with them now.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to NullMaster
No Norton? :P

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN
I think I detect a hint of sarcasm there but not sure .

I'm have to admit, I'm prejudiced against Norton so I'm not considering it. I managed several corporate networks in the past and Symantec Endpoint absolutely crushed the performance of our workstations. I haven't used NIS but I tend to just want to run an AV vs. the entire protection suite.

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN
reply to NullMaster
Update in case anyone cares.

So far I've tried:

- Webroot: Nice and light, I just haven't completely bought in to this product yet.

-F-Secure: Tried both the AV and the Internet security products. I liked the product but I seem to have slow down issues with both. Really pegged my CPU at times and might be having a bad interaction with the ATI catalyst control panel.

- Avira Free: Seemed nice. No frills but light.

- BitDefender: Downloaded the trial but couldn't pull the trigger on installing it due to some things I've read on it really wacking some peoples computers. I know, I'm chicken.

- Kaspersky AV 2013: Currently running a trial Kaspersky Av 2013 (not KIS). So far I like it. After install it found several Java based trojans in a temp internet file folder. Presumably these were there with the other products installed and full scans didn't find them. I know KIS is considered to be quite heavy on resources but KAV has seemed good so far. I like that KAV has some of the internet protection features like the virtual keyboard and website reputation checking and I read some good things about the Automatic Exploit Protection feature.

martg

join:2005-11-19
I'm using Bitdefender at present. I was using NIS but the 2013 version doesn't seem as good as the 2012 version. Rather than revert to the 2012 version (as some users have done), I thought I'd give Bitdefender a try instead.

A couple of glitches. It kept wanting to reboot at every update. This problem seemed to get fixed fairly quickly by Bitdefender. Also, I had a warning about an AV problem where I'm sure none existed. A repair install cured this.

Other than that, it has generally run OK and I'm happy to stay with it, at least until the current version of Norton gets better ..and maybe even longer than that.

CloudAVPro

@wideopenwest.com
reply to NullMaster
Stick with Webroot, you will find it fast, light, and effective.

Bit Defender can whack a PC, I don't trust it. Kaspersky is a hog, even on fast PC's. F-Secure will make you cry at times the way it escalates to huge CPU loads for random reasons. Avira was good, now it's not good.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to NullMaster
Moved from Avast Free to Kaspersky Antivirus.

Avast failed me, did research and it was between Bitdefender and Kaspersky (they are basically neck and neck).

Went with Kaspersky just because I read more issues with Bitdefender.

I'm very satisfied with Kaspersky and it doesn't seem to bog down my computer like others say.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11