Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Elite

Re: New AV Program - Opinion on Options

said by Elite:

I don't know why nobody has mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and made by Microsoft (that could be a good or bad thing).

My argument with MSE was always as follows... Microsoft wrote your OS. They know more about it than anyone else. Hell, they even have the source code... to the whole thing. They can change whatever elements of the OS they'd like at any given time (via Windows Update). They can (potentially) write the best scanning engine, by leveraging their "we make the OS" advantage.

They also probably have more money and programmers than every single AV company mentioned in this thread COMBINED.

I mentioned it. Did you miss my post where I said I will be using Windows Defender (at least for awhile) on my new machine? That is the name for MSE on Windows 8.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Mele20:

I mentioned it. Did you miss my post where I said I will be using Windows Defender (at least for awhile) on my new machine? That is the name for MSE on Windows 8.

How foolish of me. Anyhow, the OP is using 7, which is still MSE territory. I too, am using "Defender" on Win 8.
--
QUAD!!!!

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to poppster
And she was totally asking for it by dressing the way she did, too.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to poppster
said by poppster:

all i am saying is if you are intending on installing a program you should be there to see what it does. Gone are the day of 100mhz pc's with 16kb of ram...so time shouldn't be a real issue, but if you don't have the time to watch an install, then you probably shouldn't be installing it anyways.

Thats my opinion.

With Avast, you COULD BE watching the install, blink, sneeze, blow your nose and lo and behold Chrome is installed. Avast, sadly to say, has become extremely aggressive in recent versions about trying to force Chrome on users. They weren't always this way and it is sad what is happening with them now.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to NullMaster
No Norton? :P

NullMaster

join:2000-08-24
Minneapolis, MN
I think I detect a hint of sarcasm there but not sure .

I'm have to admit, I'm prejudiced against Norton so I'm not considering it. I managed several corporate networks in the past and Symantec Endpoint absolutely crushed the performance of our workstations. I haven't used NIS but I tend to just want to run an AV vs. the entire protection suite.

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN
reply to NullMaster
Update in case anyone cares.

So far I've tried:

- Webroot: Nice and light, I just haven't completely bought in to this product yet.

-F-Secure: Tried both the AV and the Internet security products. I liked the product but I seem to have slow down issues with both. Really pegged my CPU at times and might be having a bad interaction with the ATI catalyst control panel.

- Avira Free: Seemed nice. No frills but light.

- BitDefender: Downloaded the trial but couldn't pull the trigger on installing it due to some things I've read on it really wacking some peoples computers. I know, I'm chicken.

- Kaspersky AV 2013: Currently running a trial Kaspersky Av 2013 (not KIS). So far I like it. After install it found several Java based trojans in a temp internet file folder. Presumably these were there with the other products installed and full scans didn't find them. I know KIS is considered to be quite heavy on resources but KAV has seemed good so far. I like that KAV has some of the internet protection features like the virtual keyboard and website reputation checking and I read some good things about the Automatic Exploit Protection feature.

martg

join:2005-11-19
I'm using Bitdefender at present. I was using NIS but the 2013 version doesn't seem as good as the 2012 version. Rather than revert to the 2012 version (as some users have done), I thought I'd give Bitdefender a try instead.

A couple of glitches. It kept wanting to reboot at every update. This problem seemed to get fixed fairly quickly by Bitdefender. Also, I had a warning about an AV problem where I'm sure none existed. A repair install cured this.

Other than that, it has generally run OK and I'm happy to stay with it, at least until the current version of Norton gets better ..and maybe even longer than that.

CloudAVPro

@wideopenwest.com
reply to NullMaster
Stick with Webroot, you will find it fast, light, and effective.

Bit Defender can whack a PC, I don't trust it. Kaspersky is a hog, even on fast PC's. F-Secure will make you cry at times the way it escalates to huge CPU loads for random reasons. Avira was good, now it's not good.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to NullMaster
Moved from Avast Free to Kaspersky Antivirus.

Avast failed me, did research and it was between Bitdefender and Kaspersky (they are basically neck and neck).

Went with Kaspersky just because I read more issues with Bitdefender.

I'm very satisfied with Kaspersky and it doesn't seem to bog down my computer like others say.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11

NullMaster

Minneapolis, MN
reply to NullMaster
So far I haven't noticed any slow down on regular use with the Kaspersky trial. I think KIS is more of a pig than KAV.

I did encounter a few websites that load slow with the website checking features enabled. A was trying to view a video on Duracell's website last night and it froze until Kaspersky did it's thing. If I disabled the browser plug-in then it loaded fine. Virpre used to do the same thing.

I can add regular visited websites to an exclusion list so there is a work-around.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to NullMaster
I been a satisfied Kaspersky Internet Security user for 7 years! Yes...there are versions that have been resource hungry, but it hasn't been bad enough on my 9 year old desktop with Windows XP to stop using it.