Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA
reply to jazzlady

Re: Day 5, no power

I just spoke to my mother, she lives in Brooklyn. She did ok during the storm.

She doesn't drive, but her neighbor does. He has 2 cars. One car has run dry, and his other car is running on fumes.

According to her, it's so desperate there that people are lining up at stations that aren't even open and waiting there hoping for a delivery.

Maybe if those troops being wasted "nation building" in Afghanistan were home helping their own country for a change things would be getting fixed- which is obviously not happening- at least in NY right now.

This is a dire situation, and it's going to get a lot worse.
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
The unions representing the linemen in NYC might get more sympathy if they had accepted help offered from other states regardless of union affiliation in the emergency. They seem more concerned about their political agenda and their "turf" than concerned with re-connecting the customers without power, so it will be bit a longer time to restore power than should be the case.
Speaking of gasoline, the Guard was sent in with 5000 gallon tankers to fuel First Responders and other emergency personnel but the gas got diverted to citizens looking for gas instead, so the first responders are not being helped so much.
And the electricity to gas stations is not yet restored.

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA
said by PrntRhd:

The unions representing the linemen in NYC might get more sympathy if they had accepted help offered from other states regardless of union affiliation in the emergency. They seem more concerned about their political agenda and their "turf" than concerned with re-connecting the customers without power, so it will be bit a longer time to restore power than should be the case.
Speaking of gasoline, the Guard was sent in with 5000 gallon tankers to fuel First Responders and other emergency personnel but the gas got diverted to citizens looking for gas instead, so the first responders are not being helped so much.

I didn't know that about the linemen in NYC. Union affiliation should not matter in an emergency. That is really selfish on their part.

I also had heard that the Guard was bringing some gas in, but didn't know it was diverted to citizens. You must be getting your news from different sources than I am. But I hope more is on the way.

What happened to the tanker ships that were supposed to be delivering gas to the NY ports, do you know?
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

This is the same ConEd linemen who came back to work in July after being LOCKED OUT by the company... they came back to prepare for an impending storm that could have blacked out the city with ConEd's hard-nosed give back contract demands and less than competent management. Where was the sympathy then? What about after they came back and got screwed over in the negotiations? Their best leverage possible would have been to let the storm knock out the city and THEN negotiate the contract... but they didn't do it that way... now they get blamed because ConEd wants to violate the measly contract they did get. Another way to look at it: if the linemen from the other states were willing to help, why not simply unionize so they will not be violating the contract?

»www.cityandstateny.com/cuomo-ann···e-storm/

said by PrntRhd:

The tankers went to their respective destinations selected by the national guard/DoD. The problem was that the state government was told (and announced) that the gas was for everyone. When the regular people showed up at the lines, the national guard gave them gas too. I don't know why they would have done that if it was clear that the gas was for first responders only. Now out on the streets what is happening is that many gas stations have special lines for first (and second) responders. Police, fire, ambulance, ConEd, Verizon, Time Warner, tree trimmers pull up and get fueled without waiting in the 3-4 hour lines. Strangely, people understand that delaying the 'cleanup' efforts will slow the return to normalcy.

Edit: Overly harsh post toned down.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA

1 edit
Thanks for the ConEd correction
Of course you just confirmed their stance on help from outside.

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC
No problem and I owe you an apology... the tone of my post was not called for and I am sorry. It has been a long, frustrating day (week) and I am on edge. Have a good night.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Apology is not needed.
I hope the recovery gets going.

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC
reply to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

Thanks for the ConEd correction
Of course you just confirmed their stance on help from outside.

Sorry, I don't work for ConEd and can't 'confirm' anything. I was merely following your (and several news stories) lead and speculating that the reason would be contractual. My Verizon contract, for instance, includes language that prevents the company from hiring outside contractors to do our work. In an emergency like this, other (union) Verizon workers will come to assist. Ultimately, I would say that if ConEd's linemen working overtime can't handle the workload then ConEd doesn't have enough manpower and should be hiring. To try and run a utility on a skeleton crew that can't handle an emergency is irresponsible.