Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Thane_Bitter

Re: where do I get my winter tired put on?

said by Thane_Bitter:

Free, generally means with the set of new tires, oil change, inspection or any other related paid service which puts a car up on the hoist. If you know of a place that takes anyone off the street and will put their winter tires on for nothing, post it, a number of canchater regulars are from the Ottawa area, I am sure they would be thrilled at the chance for free services.

Active Green and Ross on Robertson Road in Bell's Corners. They're happy to do it hoping when the wheels are off they'll find some work when they do the brake inspection.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Devanchya
Yeah, unless you know what you're doing and have the proper tools, take it somewhere to get it done. Active Green & Ross is pretty good (I just bought a set of new Michelin Latitude X-Ice's for the minivan from them).

I do the job myself. I have a 2 ton floor jack, wheel chocks, breaker bar and proper torque wrench. The last time I had a shop do it they put the nuts on so tightly I had literally stand on the breaker bar to loosen them. There's no excuse for that shit other than sheer laziness: it's easier for the mechanic to zip them back on with the impact gun.

There's no reason to have the winter tires rebalanced unless you had a vibration issue previously.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Devanchya
i get my tires put on at Costco...since our tires were purchased there, they put them on for free.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
hahaha. I don't know why but that made me laugh.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

On the Winter Rims already.
Haven't changed a tire myself since... 1997 I think.

Good practice then for you if you do get a flat on roadside.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Why bother when many tire places do them free?

Nobody puts them on for free. It's usually $13-$15 a wheel swap out existing summer with winter tires.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by shaner:

said by Mike2009:

Nobody puts them on for free. It's usually $13-$15 a wheel swap out existing summer with winter tires.

Nobody? I posted the name and location of the place that does.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to Devanchya
Sometimes I do it myself... if it's too cold I'll get my oil change place to do it and they charge about $20 bucks to do it for all 4 tires.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

said by shaner:

said by Mike2009:

Nobody? I posted the name and location of the place that does.

as did i, however, they only do it for tires purchased there.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

It's a loss-leader for them...

"Hey, we noticed you need a brake job, your strut's leaking, and you're low on exhaust fluid - since you're already here, we wrote out this estimate... Sign here, and we'll have you on your way in an hour!" - same idea as the 9.99 oil changes - get's them in the door, then you pickup other work while they're there; or build good will towards future business...

EDIT - I'll also vouch for Green and Ross - They aren't always the cheapest place, but they've never tried to upsell me, either... Been fair, and honest to me, every time I've been...

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Well, here in Alberta, nobody does anything for free. Yeah, you get free install when you buy the tires, but seasonal switchover always costs money.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Devanchya
Spent yesterday afternoon on my parents' driveway with my brother and a buddy of his doing the parents' car, my car, bro's car, buddy's car and bro's gf's car. 5 cars, 2.5hrs total. We used a 2 ton dolly jack, a breaker bar and a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts (or bolts, on the VW) to ensure we can actually get them off if we ever have to. One car had new tires on it and it took the 4 foot handle of the dolly jack on the end of a breaker bar to get the nuts loose (thank you, idiot with an impact wrench who put them on). I usually do them myself, in about an hour, but it was fun to be working with others for a change.

When checking the air pressure on the winters, take a few moments to also check the pressure in your spare.
--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

fkharper

@teksavvy.com
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by fkharper :

Not good advice if you don't know what u doing. Very easy to get hurt or even worst get someone else hurt.

Your genetic markers going back in time must be of such an insignificant amount least mankind would never had got out of a cave and used fire.

My friend, mounting/swapping tires its all i will do for the next 2 months. I could tell you stories of wheels not installed properly, lug nuts installed wrong away, tires coming loose damaging fenders, suspension parts, brakes and so...and of course a few that hit guard rails after wheels came loose. So yeah, unless you know what u doing, get it done by someone who knows.
btw, does he have a torque wrench?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

Well, here in Alberta, nobody does anything for free. Yeah, you get free install when you buy the tires, but seasonal switchover always costs money.

you have to pay $15/tire at Costco when you buy the tires to have them mounted and balanced, but seasonal switchover to any Costco purchased tires are free...and there is no upselling, as they aren't a garage.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

you have to pay $15/tire at Costco when you buy the tires to have them mounted and balanced, but seasonal switchover to any Costco purchased tires are free...and there is no upselling, as they aren't a garage.

They will re-balance them as well free. Just had the winters for our Civic balanced again.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

5 cars, 2.5hrs total. We used a 2 ton dolly jack, a breaker bar and a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts (or bolts, on the VW) to ensure we can actually get them off if we ever have to.

Impact gun and torque sticks, and torque wrench here mean a matter of minutes each car.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

They will re-balance them as well free. Just had the winters for our Civic balanced again.

yes...when my wife's tires were put on yesterday, they were also rebalanced for free.

i can't imagine buying tires anywhere but Costco.
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by peterboro:

yes...when my wife's tires were put on yesterday, they were also rebalanced for free.

i can't imagine buying tires anywhere but Costco.

They were not the cheapest when I got mine last year, the Toyota dealer was.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to Devanchya
I took my car in for winter tire changeover today. I only have one set of alloy rims because no one makes 18 inch steel rims for winter for my mustang GT and I refuse to go a lesser diameter wheel and thus have to buy another set of 4 winter tires. I store my tires at the Frisby tire shop because I have no storage space at home. I think it costs me about $300 per year for storage, demounting and mounting and balancing for winter and summer changeovers. My tires are very expensive Pirelli P Zero Nero and Hankook Ice Bear.

-Bob

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Devanchya
Public Tire - 1 block north of Ellesmere on the east side of Warden. $25.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

for the same tire?

that would be very rare...at most, Costco's markup is 15%, often half to a third of what most retailers would be...i've priced out the last 4 sets of tires i have purchased and Costco was less than everywhere else around here (often by a couple hundred dollars) and even less than most US places, because of the cost to ship them here.

of course, added bonus' include road hazard warranty and free re/re for Costco purchased tires, which can add to further savings ongoing...then of course, the rebates that are often available nationally (regardless of where you buy them), are given instantly, whereas everyone else does the "mail-in rebate", which is better since you get the savings right away, plus tax (which you won't get with a mail in rebate).
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by donoreo:

for the same tire?

that would be very rare...at most, Costco's markup is 15%, often half to a third of what most retailers would be...i've priced out the last 4 sets of tires i have purchased and Costco was less than everywhere else around here (often by a couple hundred dollars) and even less than most US places, because of the cost to ship them here.

of course, added bonus' include road hazard warranty and free re/re for Costco purchased tires, which can add to further savings ongoing...then of course, the rebates that are often available nationally (regardless of where you buy them), are given instantly, whereas everyone else does the "mail-in rebate", which is better since you get the savings right away, plus tax (which you won't get with a mail in rebate).

Same tire. Dealer also stored my summer wheels for "free". My wife did the negotiating and was going back and forth between Green + Ross and dealer mostly, both beat Costco.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
interestingly enough, another person i know just bought a set of tires through Green and Ross and was amazed at the great price she got...the tires were about $190/each at Costco, and she got them for $140/each...her friend actually works for Michelin Canada and she said it was likely the tires came over from the USA (weren't purchased from Michelin Canada)...she said she has seen more and more of that lately...i don't know if that matters or not (in terms of warranty, etc).
--

- George Orwell

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Devanchya
On rims? Do them yourself. When I had the rims, I did them myself, put chocks behind the wheels, as my driveway is sloped, and going slowly, and safely, I was done in 45 mins using the tools in the trunk.
--
~ Project Hope ~

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by EUS:

On rims? Do them yourself. When I had the rims, I did them myself, put chocks behind the wheels, as my driveway is sloped, and going slowly, and safely, I was done in 45 mins using the tools in the trunk.

I would do this too, but my driveway is not good enough and I have no space.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Devanchya
The other thing about Costco tires is they are OEM, not replacement, tires (I've heard this from several different sources and have no reason to doubt any of them). There's a significant difference between the two, and my dealer admitted that the replacement tires they were going to sell me to replace the originals on my car were identical brand, model and size but a better product than the ones that are on cars when they are sold.

It's not a deal-breaker for most, but it is something to keep in mind when buying tires.
--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Kardinal:

The other thing about Costco tires is they are OEM, not replacement, tires (I've heard this from several different sources and have no reason to doubt any of them). There's a significant difference between the two, and my dealer admitted that the replacement tires they were going to sell me to replace the originals on my car were identical brand, model and size but a better product than the ones that are on cars when they are sold.

It's not a deal-breaker for most, but it is something to keep in mind when buying tires.

Oh no, you have spoken foul of the great and might Costco.
--

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to fkharper
said by fkharper :

said by peterboro:

If your tires are on rims then go to Devanchya Auto Express located in your driveway.

Not good advice if you don't know what u doing. Very easy to get hurt or even worst get someone else hurt.
Any local repair shop should be able to do it for u.

serious? Mounting wheels on a car is like day 1 in any apprenticeship course.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Any garage or tire store like Green + Ross or Canadian Tire. A dealer will also do it. Expect to pay $30-$40. Some may do it for free to get you in the door. Often they will be rebalanced, as well.

Active Green + Ross, Canadian Tire and the dealers have some of the highest prices going. Try and find a good local garage if car repair isn't your thing.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Kardinal
i'm not so sure about that...winter tires are a bad example, as no car comes with winter tires installed from the factory, but if you car has Hankook Optimo 4S tires on it from the factory, and you replace it with a set of Hankook Optimo 4S tires from the dealer (or wherever), i am pretty sure it is the same tire.

of course, what might be available is a Hankook (example) Excel 4Ti, which may be a little more money, but a much better tire (or a Michelin, Bridgestone, whatever). OEM tires are tires chosen for specific requirements spec'd by the manufacturer, including price.

often, an "OE" replacement may only be related to the "size" of the tire...as an example, my Rio5 has 205/45/17 tires on it...Michelin does not make a standard (non-winter) tire in that size...so, if i want to put a Michelin tire on my car, and maintain my 17" rims, i will need to change the profile of the tire (example, 215/45/17)...or, i could buy new rims if i wanted something like a 205/55/16, which is what i purchased for snow tires, as i didn't like the choices available in the OEM size (limited selection).
--

- George Orwell