Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
reply to Devanchya

Re: where do I get my winter tired put on?

I usually wait until late November to early December and put the winter tires on myself. My bride has studs ( can't stand them), TPMS on mine. Dealer will reprogram my car for $20.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by urbanriot:

... except you seem to trying to provide a 'helpful tip' when there isn't one to provide. Costco's Michelin - Energy 132 MXV4 S8 will be the same as everyone else's Michelin - Energy 32 MXV4 S8. It obviously won't be the same as Michelin - Pilot MXM4.

No, I'm actually comparing a MXV4-S8 sold on a new car to one that is sold by a tire company as a replacement tire and saying they likely *won't* be the same. They'll have the same pattern, but will be made with a different rubber compound with a different wear rating (as noted upthread by koira See Profile). If the one from a dealer is rated for 40k km, while the aftermarket one is 75k km, is that the same tire? The ones on new cars are often optimized for fuel economy to help the car reach the EPA ratings in real world conditions, but that can be at the expense of handling characteristics or tread life because it's what the manufacturer's want (ie/ "the new car gets great gas mileage!" not "my car's tires are three years old have 70k km on them, and they're still good").

I was trying to provide information I've acquired through conversations with people who work in the industry that the tires with the same name can be and are often different depending on if they are for use on new car delivery or aftermarket retail, and a social forum of non-industry people have chosen not to believe me based on their own opinions on the subject. I'm fine with that.

Speaking from experience i can comment there is a difference on road hazard warranty on OEM vs aftermarket of the same tire.
But concerning wear if OEM lasts 40 K vs after market of the same model tire lasts 70 K that translates to the original equipment tires are made with softer compound and that would result in lower fuel economy due to extra friction. That's reverse of your argument on a new car delivering EPA rating isn't it ?

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

we put our tires on a little earlier this year (this past weekend)...

I did the same with my car yesterday (running on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's, OMG what an awesome tire!) I'll do the swap-out on Mrs. Weather's minivan next weekend.

The weather this week will be in the single digits which is just about when the traction on the shitty Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my Pontiac G8 goes to about nil.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to koira
said by koira:

Speaking from experience i can comment there is a difference on road hazard warranty on OEM vs aftermarket of the same tire.

that likely has to do with the auto manufacturer...when you buy a new car, your tire's warranty is from the auto company, not the tire company...it is quite possible the auto company chooses less warranty for a price break.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

I did the same with my car yesterday (running on Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's, OMG what an awesome tire!) I'll do the swap-out on Mrs. Weather's minivan next weekend.

The weather this week will be in the single digits which is just about when the traction on the shitty Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my Pontiac G8 goes to about nil.

yea, i have WS70s for my Rio5 and the Elantra Touring has a set of X-Ice IIs (which may be on their last year, despite having a decent amount of tread left)...if the WS70s last as long as these X-IceIIs have held up, i'll be happy.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

I took my car in for winter tire changeover today. I only have one set of alloy rims because no one makes 18 inch steel rims for winter for my mustang GT and I refuse to go a lesser diameter wheel and thus have to buy another set of 4 winter tires. I store my tires at the Frisby tire shop because I have no storage space at home. I think it costs me about $300 per year for storage, demounting and mounting and balancing for winter and summer changeovers. My tires are very expensive Pirelli P Zero Nero and Hankook Ice Bear.

-Bob

Question, what year is your Mustang? I ask because Fusion rims from 2005 to 2012 will fit those MY Mustangs (I know this b/c I have Mustang rims for summer tires on my 2008 Fusion )

NefCanuck

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
2010 Mustang GT. I'd buy a set of 18 inch steel rims for winter if I could find them but I have searched numerous times with no luck. They would have to be the proper width also; I won't go narrower. I hate the look of smaller diameter rims that most other GT owners put on for winter. And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

Hap

@umontreal.ca
said by Bob Anderson:

2010 Mustang GT. I'd buy a set of 18 inch steel rims for winter if I could find them but I have searched numerous times with no luck. They would have to be the proper width also; I won't go narrower. I hate the look of smaller diameter rims that most other GT owners put on for winter. And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

Did you try Costco for steel rims?

»www.costco.ca/Steel-Wheels.produ ··· 256.html

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

-Bob

Hrm, I know the Fusions had 18" alloys as an option, though I'm not 100% sure as to the width. I know the Mustang Bullits I'm using on my Fusion are 17 x 8 and they fit fine, but I'm not 100% sure if the Fusion 18's are 7.5 or 8. The 18's were available on the Fusion SAP 1st gen and the Fusion 2nd gen (all models) and you might be able to find a used set now for winter use.

Good luck.

NefCanuck

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Devanchya
After reading this thread I went ahead and had my tires done. I just did them at wal-mart went up there to make appt and dude said they can do it at 11 today so just had it done. Was 20 bucks because they were already on rams.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

that depends on what the wheels are made of...aluminum alloys rims certainly can get "salt cancer"...my previous Ford Taurus had it, to the point a couple of the wheels had slow rim leaks because of it.

personally, i just prefer steelies in the winter...if i rub up against a curb and ruin one, it's $35 instead of $100-$200 for an alloy rim.
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

After reading this thread I went ahead and had my tires done. I just did them at wal-mart went up there to make appt and dude said they can do it at 11 today so just had it done. Was 20 bucks because they were already on rams.

How well do goats take tires?

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by donoreo:

said by TOPDAWG:

Do what now?

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

If a proper backpack sling is used, they can take 4 quite easily. If they are just stacked on their back, they fall off a lot.

said by TOPDAWG:

I just did them at wal-mart went up there to make appt and dude said they can do it at 11 today so just had it done.

A small word of warning: I changed 5 cars of tires on the weekend, and my brother's gf had had new tires put on her car at WalMart over the summer. We had to use a breaker bar with a 4' handle extension to get the lug nuts to loosen. If she had had a flat, there was NO way she would have been able to get them off -- hell, a tow truck driver would have struggled with them if she had called roadside assistance. I guess they set their impact guns to "kill" when they put them on (we used a torque wrench so that they weren't too tight).

You might want to dig out your tire iron and try one, in case you need to go back and have them re-do the lug nuts at a lower torque setting. It could just be the WalMart bro's gf went to, but I thought I'd pass it along.
--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Kardinal:

said by donoreo:

If a proper backpack sling is used, they can take 4 quite easily. If they are just stacked on their back, they fall off a lot.

said by TOPDAWG:

I just did them at wal-mart went up there to make appt and dude said they can do it at 11 today so just had it done.

A small word of warning: I changed 5 cars of tires on the weekend, and my brother's gf had had new tires put on her car at WalMart over the summer. We had to use a breaker bar with a 4' handle extension to get the lug nuts to loosen. If she had had a flat, there was NO way she would have been able to get them off -- hell, a tow truck driver would have struggled with them if she had called roadside assistance. I guess they set their impact guns to "kill" when they put them on (we used a torque wrench so that they weren't too tight).

You might want to dig out your tire iron and try one, in case you need to go back and have them re-do the lug nuts at a lower torque setting. It could just be the WalMart bro's gf went to, but I thought I'd pass it along.

OH I know wal-mart can suck. Fuckers snipped off a blot once they paid to have it fixed. The goofy old dude working the counter said it's not our doing. My ass you the shits who broke it. I just called the area manger they paid for it no issue. The girl working I know is good so I do it when I see her there.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

said by donoreo:

said by TOPDAWG:

Do what now?

Rams
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

that depends on what the wheels are made of...

And whether they have a clear coat.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer:

that depends on what the wheels are made of...

And whether they have a clear coat.

yes...it seems more of today's rims are coated to help prevent salt cancer.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Devanchya
also, i received confirmation today (at least in the case of Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone) that there is no such thing as "OEM" vs "Retail" tires...so, if it is a Goodyear Eagle-RSA, it is a Goodyear Eagle RS-A regardless of where you bought it...any tire shop who says otherwise is either misinformed or lying.

one thing i was told is to be sure the models are identical...for example, make sure the premium tire shop wasn't selling you Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires and Wal-Mart was selling Goodyear Eagle RS-T tires, but if they have the same name, they are the same tires.

i was also told to always view the three important "specs" on a tire...Speed Rating...Load Rating...UTQG code...that will also help you match them up if you are still unsure (obviously, the tires need to be the same make/model/size as well).
--

- George Orwell