hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

hockeynomad

[CallCentric] Callcentric site attacked Oct 17

On Oct 17 I received a Callcentric message. It went as follows:

"Hello,

Our corporate management team and our entire engineering/development departments are working as aggressively as possible to mitigate against a malicious series of DDoS attacks which have been launched against our service.

Based on the persistent, aggressive, and evolving nature of these attacks, we are treating them as a Direct Criminal Act with clear malicious intent. As such, we have been in direct contact with the FBI and FCC to document this matter, perform an investigation, and provide advice where helpful.

We want to stress these attacks are focused solely on our SIP Servers; and that our back-office and customer data are both secure and unaffected.
• As a result of these attacks, users may experience drops in system registration, which can ultimately lead to inconsistent inbound/outbound calling results.
• Customer's using "Call Forwarding" to temporarily route their inbound calls to a 3rd party number (SIP URI, Cellphone, PSTN line, etc.) should not experience difficulty in receiving calls.

We can appreciate and share in everyone's frustration regarding these malicious attacks and we continue to work around the clock to deploy software\hardware updates and upgrades in effort to mitigate against them.

At Callcentric we have always been and remain committed to providing great value, reliable service, and putting our customer's first. Once this matter has been fully resolved our corporate management team will be performing a complete review and we will work to provide a fair resolution to address any inconvenience that our customers' have experienced resulting from these attacks.

We would like to let our customers know that we truly appreciate all the support, encouragement, and understanding and that we are determined to see this through.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you,

Callcentric "

--------------------------------------------
As Callcentric is only my rarely used termination call service, I didn't act upon that since this event I have no light on my Linksys ATA box for this secondary line, so obviously the line is not functional.

I've numerous router and ATA reboots, the situation remains the same.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 edit

Bink

Re: [CallCentric] Callcentric site hacked Oct 17

Your subject line is extremely misleading—a DDoS is not a hack—and this topic serves no purpose, is highly unnecessary and overwhelmingly documented at »CallCentric tech issues today?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer704 to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
There have been multiple threads and several thousand posts on this topic....

»CallCentric tech issues today?

And what you need to do now is:

a) Log into the CallCentric site.

b) After you log in, view the main page of the dashboard which has revised config instructions for many devices. Much of this involves changing certain entries from [callcentric.com] to [srv.callcentric.com]

c) If you still have a problem, post details here and/or submit a trouble ticket.

BTW, I feel that someone should also tell you that Dalton McGuinty is resigning, and that there is a hockey lockout.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad

Re: [CallCentric] Callcentric

And in fact, their website was never hacked, and no customer data was ever exposed....

This was a DDoS attack on their SIP structures....
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
Callcentric was NOT hacked. Please edit your subject!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad

Re: [CallCentric] Callcentric site hacked Oct 17

OP must not visit the site often or all the forums on the site. Plus hard to miss the thread even though it has been locked.Plus takes from the 17th to now to post.
engineerdan
join:2006-12-07
Washington, DC

engineerdan to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
The message you received on October 17 included this comment...

We want to stress these attacks are focused solely on our SIP Servers; and that our back-office and customer data are both secure and unaffected.

...which indicates that the Callcentric site was never "hacked."

Maybe you just mistakenly used the wrong term. If so, could you please edit your subject line to something that's not so misleading?

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
Please understand the meaning of terminology before it is used. As many others have said, their site was not hacked.

Also, the thread discussing this issue is over 100 pages long and has over 67k views (probably one of the most in the history of this forum). You are a little late to the party!
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
I agree, the thread title is very misleading and factually inaccurate. The thread title should be updated and/or the thread closed with a reference to the existing threads.