Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to Thane_Bitter

Re: where do I get my winter tired put on?

Why bother when many tire places do them free?

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by Mike2009:

So they can convince him to buy a new set as the ones he wanted to put on are no good according to them.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
It could happen but I think he's smart enough to know if he needs new ones.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Mike2009:

They are presumably the "experts" and they make their living by up-selling I doubt he will get out unscathed.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Mike2009:

So they can convince him to buy a new set as the ones he wanted to put on are no good according to them.

You know...the crazy man who lives in the woods is right....although it depends on where you take it.

Auto Shop A says to me: Those tires are bad, you might get the rest of the summer out of them....I says "Thanks Auto Shop A, you're mentally retarded"...

Tire Place B (Royal Tire): Well, lets see here, I'll take my little tread marker here because the tires themselves look good, nothing wrong from what they can see...you've got about 55-60% tread (it was in the green according to their little tester thing) so you're good...

And this was a tire speciality place....but they have an amazing reputation in town and aren't shady and want to keep that good rep....

Although they didn't put on my all seasons for free...they charged me I think $10/tire....meh...they did it in about 30 minutes....not Nascar speed, but for $40 I'll take it.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Mike2009
Free, generally means with the set of new tires, oil change, inspection or any other related paid service which puts a car up on the hoist. If you know of a place that takes anyone off the street and will put their winter tires on for nothing, post it, a number of canchater regulars are from the Ottawa area, I am sure they would be thrilled at the chance for free services.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Mike2009:

They are presumably the "experts" and they make their living by up-selling I doubt he will get out unscathed.

Not around here. Mind you, I know the dealer and they have yet to try that with me.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by DKS:

Not around here. Mind you, I know the dealer and they have yet to try that with me.

If he's posting here he doesn't know anyone he can trust.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

If he's posting here he doesn't know anyone he can trust.

I found Green + Ross on Ritson Rd in Oshawa were good.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Free, generally means with the set of new tires, oil change, inspection or any other related paid service which puts a car up on the hoist. If you know of a place that takes anyone off the street and will put their winter tires on for nothing, post it, a number of canchater regulars are from the Ottawa area, I am sure they would be thrilled at the chance for free services.

Active Green and Ross on Robertson Road in Bell's Corners. They're happy to do it hoping when the wheels are off they'll find some work when they do the brake inspection.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Nobody puts them on for free. It's usually $13-$15 a wheel swap out existing summer with winter tires.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by shaner:

said by Mike2009:

Nobody puts them on for free. It's usually $13-$15 a wheel swap out existing summer with winter tires.

Nobody? I posted the name and location of the place that does.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by Mike2009:

said by shaner:

said by Mike2009:

Nobody? I posted the name and location of the place that does.

as did i, however, they only do it for tires purchased there.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

It's a loss-leader for them...

"Hey, we noticed you need a brake job, your strut's leaking, and you're low on exhaust fluid - since you're already here, we wrote out this estimate... Sign here, and we'll have you on your way in an hour!" - same idea as the 9.99 oil changes - get's them in the door, then you pickup other work while they're there; or build good will towards future business...

EDIT - I'll also vouch for Green and Ross - They aren't always the cheapest place, but they've never tried to upsell me, either... Been fair, and honest to me, every time I've been...

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Well, here in Alberta, nobody does anything for free. Yeah, you get free install when you buy the tires, but seasonal switchover always costs money.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by shaner:

Well, here in Alberta, nobody does anything for free. Yeah, you get free install when you buy the tires, but seasonal switchover always costs money.

you have to pay $15/tire at Costco when you buy the tires to have them mounted and balanced, but seasonal switchover to any Costco purchased tires are free...and there is no upselling, as they aren't a garage.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

you have to pay $15/tire at Costco when you buy the tires to have them mounted and balanced, but seasonal switchover to any Costco purchased tires are free...and there is no upselling, as they aren't a garage.

They will re-balance them as well free. Just had the winters for our Civic balanced again.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by peterboro:

They will re-balance them as well free. Just had the winters for our Civic balanced again.

yes...when my wife's tires were put on yesterday, they were also rebalanced for free.

i can't imagine buying tires anywhere but Costco.
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by peterboro:

yes...when my wife's tires were put on yesterday, they were also rebalanced for free.

i can't imagine buying tires anywhere but Costco.

They were not the cheapest when I got mine last year, the Toyota dealer was.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by donoreo:

for the same tire?

that would be very rare...at most, Costco's markup is 15%, often half to a third of what most retailers would be...i've priced out the last 4 sets of tires i have purchased and Costco was less than everywhere else around here (often by a couple hundred dollars) and even less than most US places, because of the cost to ship them here.

of course, added bonus' include road hazard warranty and free re/re for Costco purchased tires, which can add to further savings ongoing...then of course, the rebates that are often available nationally (regardless of where you buy them), are given instantly, whereas everyone else does the "mail-in rebate", which is better since you get the savings right away, plus tax (which you won't get with a mail in rebate).
--

- George Orwell

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by donoreo:

for the same tire?

that would be very rare...at most, Costco's markup is 15%, often half to a third of what most retailers would be...i've priced out the last 4 sets of tires i have purchased and Costco was less than everywhere else around here (often by a couple hundred dollars) and even less than most US places, because of the cost to ship them here.

of course, added bonus' include road hazard warranty and free re/re for Costco purchased tires, which can add to further savings ongoing...then of course, the rebates that are often available nationally (regardless of where you buy them), are given instantly, whereas everyone else does the "mail-in rebate", which is better since you get the savings right away, plus tax (which you won't get with a mail in rebate).

Same tire. Dealer also stored my summer wheels for "free". My wife did the negotiating and was going back and forth between Green + Ross and dealer mostly, both beat Costco.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
interestingly enough, another person i know just bought a set of tires through Green and Ross and was amazed at the great price she got...the tires were about $190/each at Costco, and she got them for $140/each...her friend actually works for Michelin Canada and she said it was likely the tires came over from the USA (weren't purchased from Michelin Canada)...she said she has seen more and more of that lately...i don't know if that matters or not (in terms of warranty, etc).
--

- George Orwell