share rss forum feed

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

Full System Backup in Windows 8

Click for full size
Most of the information about backup in Windows 8 says you can no longer create full system images, nor can you back up everything on your hard drive. Instead, you can only back up files in your libraries, files on your desktop, your contacts, and your browser favorites, using Windows 8's File History.

I learned that that information is not totally true. I just made a full system backup image using Windows 8. Windows 8 includes the full system image backup used in Windows 7. Take a look at the picture I made of this feature in Windows 8. Note where you can find it (look at the address bar). If you can't find it, just do a search within Control Panel.

Nice!

Freddy

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Yeah it has the same settings as Windows 7. They just hide it more in Windows 8 hoping you wont use it I suppose.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Freddy

It will be interesting whether Windows backup supports the super huge hard drives. Previously it didn't. My understanding is it will, but I haven't tried yet.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to KoRnGtL15

The information I saw said that Microsoft changed backup in Windows 8 because only about 5% of users actually used the full backup feature.

They found that most users were interested only in backing up their personal stuff, like pictures, documents and the like. That's the way it is.

Freddy

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Freddy

Backup and Recovery of Windows 8 - Tip-of-the-Day #ITPro #Windows8

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

It will be interesting whether Windows backup supports the super huge hard drives. Previously it didn't. My understanding is it will, but I haven't tried yet.

It does, which is nice
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kramer:

It does, which is nice

Thanks. I came across a $100 Dell gift card today and used to order a 2TB Seagate external.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Freddy

Why would Microsoft keep this?
If the new Windows 8's version is better at file backup and recovery, seems redundant to also keep Windows 7 Backup and Restore.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Dustyn:

Why would Microsoft keep this?
If the new Windows 8's version is better at file backup and recovery, seems redundant to also keep Windows 7 Backup and Restore.

Maybe because hard drives still fail, and keeping Win7's backup tools was the easiest way to provide full-backup image capability within Win8?
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

Gee, thanks tips.
Microsoft touts their new file backup system tool as the successor to Windows 7's backup restore, yet they integrate the previous version into Windows 8 for FULL backup capabilities?.... Seems like they missed the head of the nail with Windows 8 backup.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Dustyn:

... Seems like they missed the head of the nail with Windows 8 backup.

Lots of unexpected or unpleasant things happen on the way to a released product... this might be one of them. Which is why I said keeping Win7's backup tools may have been the "easiest" way to get full-backup capability - and keep the Win8 end product more or less on schedule. I have no way of knowing, of course. But to me, it has that sort of "feel" about it.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

said by Blackbird:

Lots of unexpected or unpleasant things happen on the way to a released product... this might be one of them. Which is why I said keeping Win7's backup tools may have been the "easiest" way to get full-backup capability - and keep the Win8 end product more or less on schedule...

In what way it an "unpleasant thing" for Microsoft to keep the functional cloning program from a previous version of Windows ? I'm not trying to be facetious, but I completely missed your point.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by SipSizzurp:

said by Blackbird:

Lots of unexpected or unpleasant things happen on the way to a released product... this might be one of them. Which is why I said keeping Win7's backup tools may have been the "easiest" way to get full-backup capability - and keep the Win8 end product more or less on schedule...

In what way it an "unpleasant thing" for Microsoft to keep the functional cloning program from a previous version of Windows ? I'm not trying to be facetious, but I completely missed your point.

Sorry for perhaps being unclear. I was aluding to a possibility that "unpleasant" or "unexpected" things can happen in a development cycle that force a change in plans. In this case, I was referring to a possibility that integrating full backup into Win8's new backup scheme might have produced some negative results, and the fallback position might have been to employ Win7's scheme so as to have at least some full-backup capability. As I said, it's purely speculative on my part, but it "feels" as if something of this sort might have occurred, since Win8 was perfectly willing to plow all sorts of new wholly-integrated ground with no reference to earlier MS OSs.
--

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to Freddy

Well I am playing around with Windows backup and I am beginning to see why you read what you read. I am trying (to absolutely no success) to set up "File History". When I click the control panel icon, nothing happens. I have been reading a lot about it and what I have discovered is that the Windows 7 backup service and File History cannot co-exist. One is turned off if the other is on. That's fine and dandy except that I have tried everything to make "File History" work and I can't. I've turned off the backup service, I've checked to make sure Windows Search is turned on (yes this needs to be on for File History), I've rebooted, I've made sure there were no backup tasks defined and nothing works. Very frustrated. I read one review of "File History" which stated it appeared to be written by an intern and I am beginning to agree.

Anyway, what you read may very well be correct. If you want to use all the features of Windows 8, you may very well have to turn that Windows 7 feature off. That's too bad.