spc
Search similar:

uniqs
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob

I have had enough with this

For the last week or so I've been having DNS issues with Telus. Multiple packet captures show the V1000H simply dropping all DNS requests into it. normally this would be a "Oh that's not a huge deal, I will just point myself to another DNS server", but that isn't exactly possible on the Actiontec. This was more or less the last straw with fighting with this all-in-one box of frustration.

After being on hold for an hour, and talking to three different people trying to get a different modem, I was literally told "If you turn off the wireless on the V1000h it's just like a stand-alone modem", and "Just buy a new modem on ebay if you don't like the V1000h".

What sort of attitude is that towards a customer who is legitimately trying to make this service work with my existing network setup? I will be calling Shaw in the morning. This sort of customer service is ridiculous.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Change yor DNS.

Google public DNS (IP Addresses):

OpenDNS:

ORSC Public Access DNS Nameservers

ScrubIt:

Sprintlink General DNS

Cisco

Dnsadvantage:

Cable & Wireless:

Level 3:

DNSResolvers:

Norton:

Visizone:

DynDNS:

Demand a 516v6 modem they seem ok.
You could default to a 300G they are in any second hand store or budget pawn if you need to send the v1000 back.
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

said by Cartel:

Demand a 516v6 modem they seem ok.
You could default to a 300G they are in any second hand store or budget pawn if you need to send the v1000 back.

The Speedtouch from Telus is the best one to use and it's free plus it will support up to 15mbps connections. The 300G is an ancient relic.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Mike_C:

The Speedtouch from Telus is the best one to use and it's free plus it will support up to 15mbps connections. The 300G is an ancient relic.

The Speedtouch is an ancient relic, and won't be supported on TELUS very soon.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to annoyingrob

to annoyingrob
Speedtouch is amazing, just works. Far more superior than the Actiontec.
encircle
join:2006-08-20

encircle to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

The Speedtouch is an ancient relic, and won't be supported on TELUS very soon.

Can you provide more info about this? By "supported" do you mean that Telus will just stop providing the modems? Or do you mean the modems will fail to work with Telus network in the future, if so, when?

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

The modem is in no way superior to the Actiontec V1000H. It does not support SRA, PhyR, G. INP or VDSL2.
Nick96
join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

The Actiontec has broken UPnP, DHCP Reservation, bad wireless, and many other problems, so I don't really see how the Actiontec is better than the Speedtouch. It doesn't really matter how good the Actiontec's modem is since the router in it is useless and bridge mode is pretty much unheard of on it. With the Speedtouch, I connect it to my Linksys router and get great wireless, UPnP, DHCP reservation, and all of the other standard router features. I have a fully functional network with my setup, and with the Actiontec, I don't. The Actiontec isn't even really suitable for the average person since most online video games use UPnP.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy to rustydusty

Anon

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

As others have mentioned, its a relic now. It was impressive years ago when it first came out, but its long been eclipsed. Sadly the firmware hasn't been updated by Thomson/Technicolor in years, and it doesn't support PhyR/G.inp, and has buggy SRA. Unless you've installed a 7.x series firmware, it also isn't ADSL2+ Amendment 3 compliant, so you don't get 24k interleaver memory (this allows 25mbit downstream with INP=2, instead of 8mbit).

With any Broadcom BCM63x8 based modem with semi-recent firmware (last few years) you'll get at least 10x better impulse noise protection (due to PhyR) and with lower latency (again, due to PhyR).
annoyingrob
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to Cartel

to Cartel
That's all and good except you can NOT change the DNS servers on the V1000h. Even with the root password changing DNS servers will not stick. That means I need to manually change the DNS settings on all of my machines including Windows, Linux boxes, printers, TVs, Cellphones, Ipods, video game consoles, etc. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Plus, I would like my network to "just work", for everything to be automatic.

They offered me a 516v6, but I was under the impression that they will only operate up to 6mbit, and/or they only work on ADSL2+ lines, not a VDSL2 that is currently configured at my location, and was under the impression that they won't "revert" a location back to an ADSL2+ configuration.

I called up Shaw, and I can get comparable internet and phone combo for almost the exact price I'm paying Telus now. I've called back Telus one last time to see if they have any options available to me to run my own router, as I have a linux server sitting doing nothing set up with NAT, DNS caching, DHCP, IPv6 tunneling, which is what I used to work with when I was with Shaw. The CSR I talked to seemed to think he had something (either a stand-alone modem, or a newer gateway that can be configured to run in a bridge mode), but he might just be thinking of the Speedtouch again. We'll see in an hour when he calls me back.
annoyingrob

annoyingrob

They're sending me a Speedtouch, I had three people at Telus confirm that it will indeed work with my 15mbit plan. Here's hoping.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy

Anon

said by annoyingrob:

They're sending me a Speedtouch, I had three people at Telus confirm that it will indeed work with my 15mbit plan. Here's hoping.

Obviously it'll work on 15mbit, you'll just get significantly worse impulse noise protection and higher latency, compared to running with a modern BCM based modem.
Nick96
join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Nick96 to annoyingrob

to annoyingrob
I have the Speedtouch ST516v6 on Telus's High Speed Turbo 15mbit plan and it works great. I don't get worse latency than my Actiontec, but in severe thunderstorms when the lightning is close, it seems to interfere with my internet and take it down on the Speedtouch, but the Actiontec hasn't ever gone down for me because of interference.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

1 recommendation

Cloneman to annoyingrob

to annoyingrob
I worked for Telus for 1 year.

There was some bad, but also some good. And you're looking at the good part. The representatives are being truthful and offering you unofficial solutions that most likely are in your best interest.

While TELUS isn't going to change their whole system for you, at least they won't pretend like it's working as designed and made some down-to-earth recommendations for you to follow.

Never use an ISP's modem as a router. You're on your own if you do. Telus is just being honest. All in one solutions suck.

EDIT I assume there's a way to get a public IP to a dedicated router? No Double nat? otherwise just ignore my advice, lol
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

Actiontec V1000H is actually pretty good as far as the modem part of it is concerned. It's mostly the crippled firmware that's the issue especially regarding the router/gateway functionality.

If only they'd allow bridge mode...
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

If only they offered a modem. Oh wait, they have a modem (ALU), but they don't offer it any more.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by bimmerdriver:

If only they offered a modem. Oh wait, they have a modem (ALU), but they don't offer it any more.

You don't want the ALU, I've had three of the modems die on me so far!
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw

The ALU's work great. Telus still offers them to business customers that have their own rackmount router, and only need a modem from Telus.

That being said, the Speedtouch is also still currently being 'installed' in certain cases. Mainly business's that have their own router, and are on 6mbit internet or less.

I ran my speedtouch personally all the way up to 15mbit. Which is as high as adsl2+ goes. When I switched to vdsl, I ran the actiontec for a while (in bridging mode), then recently switched to an ALU. Can't be happier with the ALU.

The speedtouch should work for the OP. If not, it is possible to get ALU's. They'll have to dispatch a tech though, as I don't think they're available through the mail. Tech's should be carrying them on their truck, as business installs commonly use them.
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

You don't want the ALU, I've had three of the modems die on me so far!

For me this is incorrect, my ALU survived a dusty renovation with a plastic bag over it for a number of months. I also heard if you keep this modem on it's side it helps the heat escape better., which may or may not be true.
annoyingrob
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob

I tried getting an ALU several times before, but had no luck. I even went as far as calling up the representatives and giving them the model number.

So, got the Speedtouch on Friday, hooked it up this weekend, and am satisfied with the results. Set up an old G1 DL360 I had lying around as a router, threw a USB card in it, plugged in a USB wifi dongle, got the network set up with DHCP, DNS caching, IPv6 tunneling, wireless access point, and some other stuff. Speeds have been a solid 14.25/0.8mbit which was what I was getting with the old Actiontec. Speed tests showed latency of ~30ms. How that compares to my old Actiontec I'm not sure.

The internet is hugely faster just due to the fact that dns queries are being cached and handled locally. I'm not sure why the Actiontec would seem to drop half of its DNS requests, and go un-responsive but now that I can fix the problem myself I'm happy.

Another plus, having control over the DNS server, I can create some forwarding zones for netflix