spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

khami

@communicomm.com

Internet Reliability issues

I have attempted to fix this issue on my own and have decided I definitely need help. I have a sb 6120 modem and a wireless router that have been randomly dropping and resetting. I thought it was happening with increased bandwidth usage, but it doesn't appear to be linked to when I'm downloading or gaming. I have swapped out wireless routers and directly connected to my modem and it still happens. I have spoken with my ISP and they can't see that I have lost connection even while I am currently disconnected. My stats look good with my downstream power stable around 4 or 5 and up around 38. I have tons of logs of disconnects but I've heard that they are specific to your ISP so i don't know if those would help. Also, I have pinged my modem and each computer connected wirelessly and show no packet loss. I'm pretty much out of ideas here and I have scheduled an appointment for a tech to come out but I don't want to burn the money if I'm just going to have to replace my modem anyway. Any ideas on ways to test/fix what's going on? Thanks in advance!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
said by khami :

I have swapped out wireless routers and directly connected to my modem and it still happens.

Based on this comment, I think you're probably in the wrong place. There are a number of forums here, and this one is specific to wireless issues. I'm moving this to Cable Users where I think you'll get the best help.

I suggest you post your modem log (without your MAC address) and the modem signal levels for the upstream and downstream channels. Those things may contain important clues.

Khami

@communicomm.com
Thanks for moving my post, I apologize for the extra work. Here are the logs from the past few days. I reset factory defaults for my modem so there aren't any logs beyond this yet.

5-Warning T202.0 Lost MDD Timeout;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

5-Warning T203.0 MDD message timeout;CM-;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout ;CM-;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

5-Warning T203.0 MDD message timeout;CM-;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

6-Notice Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout ;CM-;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Khami

@communicomm.com
Just as an update... the tech came out today and said it sounded like the bandwidth on our node was maxed. He said that during peak hours if there wasn't enough bandwidth we'd get randomly kicked. Likewise, if it wasn't peak hours and someone was using a ton of bandwidth (or several someones), then we could just as easily get disconnected. He said he was going to speak with his lead tech and work on it. Does this sound feasible?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
I'm far from an expert but there are specific slots reserved for ranging and its seems unlikely to me that you would get T3 timeouts due to one user doing large downloads. The normal explanation I have heard for T3 time outs is Noise, normally on the upstream.

This is the Cisco page that explains error messages

»www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc···errs.htm

This explains ranging slots
»web.archive.org/web/200712180625···l/09.htm
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.