Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Rob

Re: Unlock iPhone for $4 bucks...

For as much money as is being spent on the phone, why isn't it a free service?

Is there something they have to do physically to the phone, or is it a software thing that they do to unlock it?

I'm just curious because I've never owned a smartphone, let alone an Iphone.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

AT&T will unlock a customer's iPhone for free, but only after the customer's contract is up and that they don't have an outstanding balance.

While under contract, AT&T won't unlock the phone, forcing customers who travel overseas to pay AT&T the roaming fees.

For the iPhone, to unlock it, they add the IMEI # to Apple's database, and then when the customer syncs their phone with iTunes, the Apple database will unlock the phone.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Thank you.
So the 4 dollar charge makes sense on the newer phones.

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Rob

To do this unlock, do you actually have to restore the phone or just plug it in and sync it? I have an 8gb iPhone 4 that I am selling and would like to have it unlocked but it is jailbroken and don't want to risk anything where I may have to restore it to IOS 6 and lose the JB.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Just plug it in.
A factory unlocked phone versus the jailbreak unlock should net you a few extra bucks if you eBay it.

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by ptrowski:

Just plug it in.
A factory unlocked phone versus the jailbreak unlock should net you a few extra bucks if you eBay it.

umm .. no. To unlock an iphone it has to be restored.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
reply to Rob

Someone just bought it about an hour ago so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Thanks for the info.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to clevere1

said by clevere1:

said by ptrowski:

Just plug it in.

umm .. no. To unlock an iphone it has to be restored.

No it doesn't. When I had AT&T unlock my 3GS it did not have to be restored.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Rob

They lowered the price to $3.13 now.

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out
reply to Rob

If one had this done could you take an iphone 4s used on sprint and activate it on verizon?
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

said by Post Op:

If one had this done could you take an iphone 4s used on sprint and activate it on verizon?

If you go to the eBay link you will find the enlightenment that you seek...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out

I guess that would have helped.

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ
reply to Rob

just got it for the lowered price $3. it works. just hoping there's no catch whatsoever.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by tommy3rd:

just got it for the lowered price $3. it works. just hoping there's no catch whatsoever.

Once it's in the AT&T / Apple whitelist, it won't be removed. The only catch is when AT&T finds the service reps doing this and fires them.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB
reply to Rob

Curious if any Canadians have tried this with any success yet? Id like to unlock my iPhone 5 from Telus, purely for the future if I decide to travel to the States so I can just get a SIM card and not worry about being raped with roaming charges, or massively overpriced and limited data. I usually buy my iPhones unlocked right from apple, but preordered mine from TELUS, and got it launch day, got it for $500 total including AppleCare+ so saved about $500 on it by extending my contract another 3 years. Very happy with my provider though.

If so, does one just pay for the AT&T unlock and provide the IMEI even though its Telus?
--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

That won't work. The only reason the seller is able to offer this service is that they're paying off AT&T customer service reps to input the IMEI into the AT&T whitelist that gets synced with Apple's servers. I doubt it would accept an IMEI from a non AT&T phone.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Us lucky Canadians.
»www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-APPLE-IT···c30554dc

Same seller, guess ill just wait until its been 3 months since I've got my iPhone 5, and call Telus. They'll unlock it for $50 and just charge the fee to my account.
--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

AT&T will unlock a customer's iPhone for free, but only after the customer's contract is up and that they don't have an outstanding balance.

While under contract, AT&T won't unlock the phone, forcing customers who travel overseas to pay AT&T the roaming fees.

For the iPhone, to unlock it, they add the IMEI # to Apple's database, and then when the customer syncs their phone with iTunes, the Apple database will unlock the phone.

I understand that's always been their policy, but they unlocked my iPhone 4 while it was still under contract and I had my iPhone 5 unlocked after just a few weeks.

Just keep on submitting the request to AT&T. They asked for my receipt, I called AT&T and asked for one, they sent it and then I faxed it right back to them and they unlocked the phone. AT&T's receipt shows there was a discount/contract. They sent me all sorts of emails, sometimes different ones on the same day:

quote:
To request an
unlock for this device and account, log in to your myAT&T account and contact us by email or
chat.

We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone

In order to process your unlock request, we must receive a faxed copy of your original receipt. Please fax us a copy of the receipt including your Request Number and IMEI

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.
I could understand they don't/won't unlock the phone on a new account but if you've been with them 2-3 years they should be able to get it unlocked.
--
PRescott7-2097

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Zac

I bet in 3 months the price on eBay will be much, much, less.

cablesurfer

join:2000-02-05
Thousand Oaks, CA
reply to Rob

FYI to all Jail Brake users that unlock with this method.

You DO NOT have to restore to re-activate and unlock your phone. You can simply download SAM from Cydia and use the "Deactivate" button under Utilities.

Then open iTunes and you will get the "Congratulations you are unlocked" message.

TCO1962
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL
reply to Rob

FYI.
My son and I unlocked two 4S' yesterday. $3.15 each. Awesome! Have another 4S on the way from a member here (locked to AT&T) and we'll do it too. Sweet deal if ya need it.

We've ran iPhones for quite awhile now with our local carrier. Had to be unlocked though. Wish this method had been around along time ago!!

OT but we've moved away from our local carrier with all but one phone (just in case we want to move back). We're testing out Straight Talk and have nothing but good things to say about it. Have been all over the place geographically and have had zero problems. Sons both use a pretty healthy amount of data and have had no problems at all.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to Rob

Too bad Sprint isn't as easy. It's why I held only my old AT&T unlocked iPhone 4. I can roll into Softbank for a SIM while traveling and avoid the $200+ international data fees.

KevNYC
Premium
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

said by skeechan:

Too bad Sprint isn't as easy. It's why I held only my old AT&T unlocked iPhone 4. I can roll into Softbank for a SIM while traveling and avoid the $200+ international data fees.

Sprint will unlock your iPhone 5 for international SIM's on request. The key is calling their international team, I unlocked my phone a week after starting service with Sprint since I was traveling to Europe that same month.
--
University of Washington - Class of 2009. Go Huskies!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

It is a special unlock that only then works with certain SIMs, or is it "unlocked" forever unlocked.

KevNYC
Premium
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

It only works with international SIMs.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to KevNYC

said by KevNYC:

said by skeechan:

Sprint will unlock your iPhone 5 for international SIM's on request. The key is calling their international team, I unlocked my phone a week after starting service with Sprint since I was traveling to Europe that same month.

That's odd Sprint is locking their iPhone's. Verizon's iPhone 5's are unlocked out of the gate, you can toss in ATT or Tmobile sim cards and it works all day long on 4G HSPA speeds.

RiseAbove
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Rob

I did this unlock for all of my AT&T iPhones, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5 and it worked great. On my older phones to avoid having to go up to iOS 6 I just factory reset them and then when you go through the activation I told it to use iTunes for activation. Two seconds later it came up with the unlock message.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

It is a special unlock that only then works with certain SIMs, or is it "unlocked" forever unlocked.

If you were referring to KevNYC's post, his reply is correct. If you were referring to the OP, then the answer is that it will unlock AT&T phones to use any GSM compatible SIM world wide, forever.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

TCO1962
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL
reply to Rob

Have to thank the OP for posting this! Yet another successful unlock via this method last night. So simple, "clean", and damn near free. My family is all set now.

SO much better than all the old school hacking around crap! I just wonder if it's all going to come to a screeching halt soon. Seems too good to be true!

RiseAbove
Premium

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by TCO1962:

Have to thank the OP for posting this! Yet another successful unlock via this method last night. So simple, "clean", and damn near free. My family is all set now.

SO much better than all the old school hacking around crap! I just wonder if it's all going to come to a screeching halt soon. Seems too good to be true!

My guess the person running this auction is either an Apple employee who has access to the database directly or it is someone working for a wireless provider who has access as well. I would bet it's someone overseas making hand over fist on their access to the database and helping people out. I tried to get some of mine unlocked through ATT and it was a nightmare and they do everything they can to make sure you don't get it unlocked. I actually don't mind paying the few bucks to make sure it gets done quick and easy.